sc graphghans

Fiji

Question

Hello All,

I am new to this site, my name is Fiona and I knit, Crochet, Sew and embroider (machine and hand). I have been working on a sc graphghan but keep running into the problem of too many stitches. To clarify I crochet a row and it works out exactly but when I do the next row I find I have one or two extra stitches and am not sure how I am doing that. It is extremely frustrating because I have to keep frogging and sometimes it takes two or three tries to get the row correct. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for any help you can give.

Fiona

2 answers to this question

I feel your frustration.  Even though I have crocheted for years it happens more often than I like.  Counting stitches for each row is important.  Often when I have a problem with a row the mistake is often in the previous row.  Its easy to mess up where the first and or last stitch of rows go.  Some use stitch markers.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.edieeckman.com/2019/08/28/where-to-put-the-first-stitch-of-a-crochet-row/amp/

I do quite a few graph ghans, and yes it is easy to have extra stitches, especially when you are working with drak colors.

I find when I start with the graph, I write out the rows.  

Example:

Row 1 blue 15 stitches, Green 8 stitches, yellow 5 stitches.

After you do that a few times, you can pretty much drop that and just follow the graph.  

Not to sound like a know it all, but you do start the graph right to left  for odd rows and left to right for even rows.