Sweater Help

Araya

Question

Hello! I am trying to work a pattern by Melissa Horozewski called the Comfy Boyfriend Sweater.  This sweater is done mainly in split single crochet.   In my first attempt all my vertical row stitches pulled / leaned to the left, so as I worked my way up the bodice, it was completely twisted around.  The vertical rows were on a 45 degree angle! I frogged it.  I thought somewhere along the line I had skipped a stitch or something.  This is my second attempt. I am being anally careful and continually counting stitches, but even though I’m only on row 4, I can see straight away that they are starting to lean left.  
The only instruction I didn’t follow, because I didn’t understand was on Round 1 where it says to join your stitches in a round, then turn.  This didn’t make sense to me.  Once it’s joined, turning it would mean flipping it inside out and then manoeuvring your wool so that it was on the proper side again?  That didn’t seem right.  Then you’re working on the backside. Or crocheting on the inside of the sweater? That can’t be right either. Since I did not do this, would that be the cause?  I just joined and kept working.  Can someone show me how to join then turn? 
I just don’t understand why my vertical rows aren’t straight. No other crocheters I know have seen this or know how to help. 
Thank you in advance to all who try and help! 

2 answers to this question

Not helping the stitch tilt, but here is an article about the stitch - look at the light brown pouch project example, there is a clear tilt to the left about the same angle as your pattern's photo.  And yet if you scroll down, the blue & white colorwork yoke looks lined up, so :shrug 

Here is a video that shows you how to do the stitch both in rounds, and then in rows @ about halfway thru.  I'm not sure how confusing this would be to alter your pattern, tho...If I were to try doing that, I'd put the turning spot @ one side of the body (mid-underarm), which is a normal place one would expect to see a seam.  No one is going to notice that there's a seam on 1 side and not the other.

This vid is just in rows, it starts with some fabric already made so you can see what it looks like.  It's not quite the same as knitting because crochet stitches have a bias, period, and there is still a 'not straight up and down-ness' of the stitches when you work them in rows - 1 row zigs right, the next row zigs left.