Looking to turn this stitch into a hat

jstaff

Question

Hello!

I have just finished a scarf with this stitch I found off YouTube. I would like to make a matching hat using the same stitch but have no idea how to integrate the stitch into a hat pattern.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Link to stitch:

4 answers to this question

It looks like a multiple of 3, + 4 (4=2 end stitches at each end)

I'm not a designer, but in the round, you wouldn't need the end stitches, so a multiple of 3.

Hats are usually done top down in crochet.  The easiest way to do this, altho not the most elegant, would be to start with a plain DC circle at the top and grow the circle to the right diameter, which luckily works with a multiple of 3.

Recipe for a flat circle in DC: start with the first round =12, an add 12 each round.  This is a generic 'rule' that works with most people's stitch tensions. To do that:

round 1: 12 dc into a circle (I assume you have worked center out circles before, and know how they work - if not I can go into more detail.)

round 2: make 2 dc into each dc - you will end with 24 dc.

round 2: 1 dc into the next dc, 2 dc into the next stitch, repeat - you will have 36 dc.

round 3: 1 dc into each of the next 2 dc, 2 dc into the next stitch, repeat - you will have 48 dc.

round 3: 1 dc into each of the next 3 dc, 2 dc into the next stitch, repeat - you will have 60 dc.

round 3: 1 dc into each of the next 4 dc, 2 dc into the next stitch, repeat - you will have 72 dc.

see the pattern forming?  You increase 1 plain stitch each round between the increases.

Measure your head or use this reference for average head sizes http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/size-chart.html  She advises to make them 2" too small so they'll stretch, I personally don't like to do that (that's a lot of stretch!)  but either way, figure out the circumference you are looking for.  I like to use my head as an example because the math is easy, my head is 22", which divided by pi (3.14) is exactly 7".  Pi x diameter = circumference, so for my head I need to make a circle that is as close to 7" as possible.  You may have to do some math to figure out how big/small it would be to add or subtract a row to get it to come closest to your head--yes it will stretch a little but usually not a whole lot (you just don't want to make it too big to stay on your head or too small to stretch enough).