Vicki

vicki67401@gmail.com

Question

I am a beginner crocheter and I have The Beginner's Guide crochet stitches by leisure arts book. I am currently trying to crochet Airy diamonds Afghan but I am stuck on row 12. I am good until I get to single crochet in the next chain single crochet in the next single crochet and in the next chain then chain 4 again. The problem I am having is when I single crochet in next chain single crochet in next single crochet then in the next chain. I am confused because in row 11 with single crochet in the next chain five spaces and then chain for so would not that make the chain five spaces five single crochets? I am so confused or very overthinking it not sure which. Including a picture of the instructions so that you can read too.  Someone please help! Thank you in advance!!!!!!

20200721_142726.jpg

2 answers to this question

In row 10, there was a span of 5 chains (also called a ch-5 space)

In row 11, you created a double curved arch on either side that span of 5 chains, with a chain 4 (first curve), sc into the middle of the ch-5 space in row 10, and another chain 4 (second curve).

In row 12, you do something similar-ish, except there are more stitches in the center part -  4 chains, then sc in the chain before the sc in the row below, sc into the sc, and sc into the following chain.  See below very crude sketch, circles are chains and x is sc.  I didn't draw any of the DCs on either side, just the 'chain loop part' from row 10 up.

scan0015.jpg

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Granny Square said:

In row 10, there was a span of 5 chains (also called a ch-5 space)

In row 11, you created a double curved arch on either side that span of 5 chains, with a chain 4 (first curve), sc into the middle of the ch-5 space in row 10, and another chain 4 (second curve).

In row 12, you do something similar-ish, except there are more stitches in the center part -  4 chains, then sc in the chain before the sc in the row below, sc into the sc, and sc into the following chain.  See below very crude sketch, circles are chains and x is sc.  I didn't draw any of the DCs on either side, just the 'chain loop part' from row 10 up.

scan0015.jpg

Thank you sooooo much!! Now I understand!! The drawing really helped!!!!