I need help with a lace glove pattern.

TheGloveGirl

Question

I bought this pattern off etsy and I'm having trouble with the front of the hand. This is my first time making lace gloves.

My problem is that front fingers don't join up like in the picture and I don't know what to do.

The back of the hand (mesh looking part) is ok.

The pattern: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/637345740/vintage-crochet-lace-flower-gloves?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=crochet+lace+gloves&ref=sr_gallery-1-11&organic_search_click=1

This is an image from the pattern I bought. See how the fingers join? Mine doesn't.

20200705_180820.thumb.jpg.13295ab17a387dd96e9a31fba480821c.jpg

This what my work looks like.

20200705_103244.thumb.jpg.28ba887bf7ad99411bfe505285677118.jpg

Edited by TheGloveGirl

5 answers to this question

How is the glove made?  Does the pattern orient you in any way (example, "starting at the cuff, chain x")?  I can think of 2 ways that keep the stitches oriented the same way (which this flower pattern would likely be), fingers down (make fingers separately and join where fingers meet the palm) or cuff up, and what you have doesn't look like the finger area to me. 

It's OK to type out a couple of lines of the pattern, just don't post the whole thing for copyright reasons.  Also, It's a good idea to read a pattern all the way thru before starting it, to get your bearings so to speak and make sure there aren't any surprises (probably especially for vintage patterns).

The palm and the back of the hand are made seprately, then joined together, then the cuff is made. (Fingers down).

This is some of the pattern: 

Back. First finger. Commence with 87 ch. (work ch loosely).

1st Row: 1 tr into 7th ch from the hook, * ch 2, miss 1 ch, 1 tr into next ch; repeat from * to end of row (41 sps), 5 ch, turn.

2nd Row:  Miss 1 sp * 1dc into next tr, ch 3, 2 dbl tr into same place as dc leaving last loop of each dbl tr on hook  thread over and draw through all loops at once ( a cluster), miss 2 sps, a 2 dbl tr cluster into nest tr, ch 3 ch 1 dc into same place as cluster, ch 5, miss 2 sps; repeat from * 9 more times 1 dc into 3rd of turning chain, ch 6, turn.

OK, making more sense now - so those are incomplete fingers, made lengthwise; I assume each finger will be seamed if they are made flat.

So if you are making 4 fingers separately, I can make a guess how these might go together.  But I was dead serious about reading the entire pattern thru before going farther, I don't want you cause you extra work because you followed my guess and then have the pattern to say something else and you have to start over.

I can see from the photo the front and back of the palm are made separately, flat and seamed, and the fingers look to be seamed as well.

My guess is below, it is the most efficient seaming I can think of:   

Make 4 finger tops and 4 finger bottoms (long rectangles, probably different lengths for each finger). 

(Top/back of the hand side): Line up the the 4 finger tops in the order the pattern tells you, work across the palm ends (short side) of the fingers in the right order to connect them (so you have a solid line of crochet [top of the hand] with 4 finger 'streamers' hanging below).  Then you continue working across the width of the top of the hand as it tells you, to the end of the cuff.  

(Palm side): same as top side.

(there will be some instruction about the thumb front/back that I'm omitting here, the thumb requires more/different shaping 'stuff' that I won't try to guess at, but the pattern should explain)

Put the 2 pieces together, probably right sides together so the ugly side of the seam is on the inside, and as invisibly as possible sew 1 long seam from 1 bottom edge of the cuff, up one side of the hand, up and down each of the fingers and the thumb, ending at the opposite end of the cuff.  If I were making these, I'd probably try to mitigate the thickness of the seam by using matching sewing thread--you wouldn't want to crochet a bulky seam on gloves.  You might want to check out how to sew a 'mattress stitch seam, it is fairly invisible and doesn't add bulk.

I already made the palm:

20200706_194008.thumb.jpg.55c30f08c9fd7499189924b71ae414b8.jpg

I only have one ball of white thread and I don't want to remake the palm fingers again. I have the second hand to make and white is the main color (while pink is the accent).

Despite that I will take your advice on the top fingers. You have helped me immensely. Thank you kindly for the help and advice, if you like I can show you the end result. 

Edited by TheGloveGirl

Looks great (and oops, I overlooked that the palm side is plain netting so isn't "the same"), and I'd love to see them when they're done!  There's a show-and-tell section, more people would probably see & admire them if you post over there.