Newbie at crochet !

rosephil

Question

2 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  I think your pattern is in UK terms, a treble in UK is a DC in US (I'm in the US, but will 'speak' UK so I don't confuse you).

Are you counting the 3 skipped chains as a stitch?  Even so, you are 1 short; did you accidentally skip a chain?.

The pattern is correct, if you chain 212, and TR in the 4th chain from the hook, you should have 210 stitches.  

A thought experiment: chain 4 in your head.  TR in the 4th chain from the hook.  You have created 2 trebles -- the skipped 3 chains are the turning chain for the row AND count as a treble, plus the 'real' treble.  So whenever you want a row of x trebles, you chain x + 2.

A tip, this creates a little extra work but can sometimes save a LOT of extra work...anytime a pattern has you chain more than 100, I count to the number and add a few more -- I've gotten distracted or whatever often enough, and have been short a chain or 2 often enough, that I'd rather pick out a few extra chains than rip & start over.  It won't unravel.