Brick stitch as a border?

CrochetBoo

Question

Hi All! 
 I’m new to crochet but have seemed to pick it up fairly quickly. I’m working on my biggest project to date and ran into an issue I haven’t figured out yet. I started with a corner to corner blanket and then my hope was to do a border around it and just see how big I want it (maybe use it as a bed spread). I started the border with sc in the spaces and then a chain 2 all the way around and then went back around to do 3 dc in the hoops? created. I couldn’t find how to build on it so I thought a brick stitch may work for my purpose. Then, I got to a corner. The first go around went fine doing the sc then 3 chains. The next go around with the 3 dc in the hoops? I realized I wasn’t increasing anywhere. How long could that go on and be blanket turn out okay or is there something better I could be doing? 

Thanks so much for any help!! 

Edited by CrochetBoo
Typo

1 answer to this question

Since brick stitch is basically DC, you might consider a plain DC border, since (usually) one wants a blanket border, the part that one might yank at, to be solid & sturdy.  Plus, this would solve all the 'where do I put the stitch' issues.  Or maybe a round of DC, then a round of SC (see last paragraph)

The idea is to work evenly around, you don't want it ruffling or pulling.  So normally that's 1 stitch into 1 stitch, but if you are working into the sides (not tops) of stitches that can get messy, and might depend a little on your stitch gauge (do you make short fat stitches like me, or tall skinny ones?).  You would want to put at least 2 stitches into the 'side' of a DC, but maybe 3, or may some scheme like alternating 2, then 3, or 3, 3, 2...the idea is for it to look neat and tidy and lie flat, if you come up with a tidy scheme but then have to throw in an extra stitch (or omit one) every so often, no one but you will notice the stitch count but they will notice if it's not nice and flat.

If you make a sc border on a square corner, you normally would make 3 stitches into the corner to 'turn' it with the right amount of 'go around the corner yet keep it flat' distance.  For a DC border on a square corner, put 5 stitches into a corner.  I like to make the middle stitch a chain, which gives the distance needed around but makes it turn a bit more crisply.