Covert from UK to US correctly?

Ldtray

Question

I just introduced myself and now I have questions :)

I have found a pattern of an afghan I'd like to make: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/parks-and-recreation-blanket

It took me a little bit to find out that there are a few differences between UK patterns and US (have't been crocheting for too terribly long).

I thought I had converted everything correctly, but now that I'm actually crocheting the pattern, it doesn't look like it is coming out correctly.

Am I allowed to post the section of the pattern that I'm having trouble with since I've linked the pattern above?

4 answers to this question

It's ok to copy a couple of lines of the pattern, or a few stitch names that you are questioning, just not the whole pattern here.

In a nutshell: 

chain and slip stitch are defined the same in both UK and US.  

SC does not exist in UK terms.

All other stitch name are 'promoted' one level, i.e. US SC=UK DC, US HDC=UK HTR, US DC=TR, and so on.  I'm referring to primary stitches, not compound stitches that are made of multiple primary stitches.

There are sometimes  other minor vocabulary differences that one or the other side of the pond might find quirky (but not unintelligible), like 'miss' in UK = 'skip' in US for example, but it's really only the single stitch names that use the same word to mean something else.

A compound stitch in UK or US should be defined specifically, example a pattern should never just say 'dc, ch1, shell, ch1..." without defining what 'shell' means--the biggest chapter in my stitch dictionary is devoted to shell stitch variations.  And, a lot of compound stitches have many names, and some names are used for more than one compound stitch in the US, so I imagine the same thing happens in the UK.

Thank you, Granny Square!  

The original pattern call for this:  Round 2 - ch3 (counts as first tr), tr1 in same sp as the ch3 (this makes half of a corner), ch1, miss 2 ch, htr3 in next ch (this is the edge), ch1, miss 2 ch, [tr2, ch2, tr2] in same ch and ch1 (this is the corner). Miss 2, htr3 in next ch, ch 1. Continue working like this until you get back to the final corner where you tr2, ch2 and join with ss. You need to work htr in this round otherwise you will end up with more of a circle than a square.

I translated it into this:

Round 2 

ch3 (counts as first dc)

dc1 in same sp as the ch3 (this makes half of a corner)

ch1

skip 2

hdc3 in next ch (this is the edge)

ch1

skip 2

dc2, ch2, dc2 in same ch and ch1 (this is the corner)

skip 2

hdc3 in next ch

ch 1 - don’t think this one is needed

Continue working like this until you get back to the final corner where you dc2, ch2 and join with ss. You need to work hdc in this round otherwise you will end up with more of a circle than a square.

Is this correct?