Crochet pattern help!

AmyG

Question

Hi all

I’m very new to crochet and bought a kit from a shop. I’ve managed to get far enough with YouTube videos but I’m stumped on one part and I was hoping someone could help.

I don’t know how to start the Simba’s snout. I understand how to chain 5 but what do I do afterwards to start my next round? Do I need to make a slip stitch into my first chain? Any help would be appreciated or even just pointing me to a useful video. FYI the pattern is for UK crochet.

63874563-AE8A-4AF0-8340-D6C9DAFE4818.thumb.jpeg.c03da13f9d0195ebcab82b8cd0ee8750.jpeg

Thanks!

Amy

Edited by AmyG

2 answers to this question

Instead of working in the round with a magic circle or adding all your stitches into a chain 2 to start you are working around the chain to start your oval? shape.  This means you work into the starting chain and the back side of the chain.

Crochet Spot has pictures that explain it here.

Basically you will chain 5 and in US terms these would be sc but in UK it is a dc

in the second chain from the hook you will dc and then dc in the next 2

When you reach the last chain you will put 3 dc in that one chain

This should bring you to the opposite side of your starting chain

Working down the opposite side of your starting chain you will make a dc in each of the next 2 stitches and 2 in the last

This pattern does not join, some toys do some don't.  You will need to mark the first stitch of the next row so you know where you started or you will lose count.

Count the stitches you have just made you should now have 10 stitches.

Thank you very much! I would never have gotten that without your help. Yes, an oval shape make sense. Was worried my Simba would be snout-less 😂 much appreciated!

Amy