Help please!

babsblue71

Question

Hello. I am working on the Willow Brook blanket. I am stick on the last row of the square. Sounds simple enough just sc in each stitch but the previous row consists of several chain 1s and chain 3a. So do I insert the hook into the v of the chain stitches and the so the rest normal? 

3 answers to this question

Assuming chain 3a should be ch3s. 

Crocheter's choice--most commonly one would crochet over a chain (stick the hook in the gap under the chain, and work the stitch as usual around the whole chain).  Working under the v of a chain is something of a pain, in certain circumstances (usually filet in thread), I stitch into the 'back loop only' of the chain, it looks a little neater.  (back loop - looking down at the chain, where the 2 loops sort of look like this = , it would be the top dash.)

Mmmm, there's more than 1 way to work into a starting chain, and my own default way to work into a foundation chain is actually what I described above (top loop). BUT the default/common/normal  way to deal with stitches "on/over" a chain is work work a stitch around the chain, not into it. How-to video  Like I said above, besides foundation chains there is only 1 circumstance (filet lace) where I (personally) don't work around a chain, but that is not typical (I probably shouldn't have mentioned it).

If your default is working into the back bump, that would twist the chain so...probably better appearance-wise to work over it.