Curved baby blanket! Please help!

Kaylmack

Question

Hi, I am fairly new to crocheting and am trying to make a baby blanket for a shower. However, I've noticed that the bottom of my blanket has a very defined curve to it. I've spent the past 3 days working on this and would hate to re-start! I've counted all of my stitches and have been working hard to have perfect stitches. Any advice on how to fix this would be so greatly appreciated! 🙏

I have attached a photograph. If I pull on the edges it straightens out more, however it eventually goes back to the original bent shape. 

1st picture is original shape

2nd picture is after being stretched out

15877605182077468381170182058393.jpg

15877606277058726306192497584922.jpg

Edited by Kaylmack
Added photos and more detail

3 answers to this question

Hi and welcome!  The first thing I would do is wash and dry it. This may cause it to relax and become more straight.  

If it is to be machine washed and dried, you'll need to cut the working yarn as you don't want to put your yarn ball in the washer.  Leave a tail of at least six inches and secure it.  Then just wash and dry the piece.

If it's to be hand washed, you can leave the ball attached, just don't dunk it.  Then air dry the piece.  

See how it looks after laundering.  If it's still curved, you will need to start over as the probable culprit is a too tight starting chain.  So use a slightly bigger hook for just the starting chain.   

Wait, don't block it.  You have been losing stitches, for one thing, which is a different problem than the curve.

How did you work into your chain?  Working into the back bump can be an issue, as it pulls the fabric tight; if this is how you started your blanket, since you are going to have to rip it out anyway to solve the other problem, when you start it again - if you want to use the back bump, start with a hook at least 1 size bigger than the rest of your blanket - seriously.  If you don't have a bigger hook to do this with, work into the chain from the front side and insert your hook into the top loop only of the chain - it does not pull the fabric tight.

I will be back in a couple of minutes with a doctored version of your photo to show what I mean by 'losing stitches'.

• Thanks 1

I've drawn a line in red (sorry, I should have made it thicker, it looked better in MSPaint) from the top row to the bottom, following 1 line of stitches.  The right side was a little fuzzier so I may be a a little off in my tracing on that side, and it doesn't seem to be drifting as much, but hopefully this illustrates what I mean by losing stitches.  377928112_losingstitches.thumb.jpg.3eaddeeb1b05038c3c6bd6ae13eb4e9b.jpg

Edited by Granny Square
  • Thanks 1