Diamond Trellis Throw help

NeutralGround

Question

I got this pattern on a skein of yarn about 12 years ago and haven't ever been able to complete it. These two rows are killing me.  Ended row 4 and started row 5.  Starting row 5, I have the dc I just made before turning, a ch 2 space, a sc, a ch 5 space, a sc, 3 dc, and a sc. 

The way row 5 sounds, I will ch 1, sc in that dc I just made, skip the ch 2 space, 3 dc in the sc, skip (the ch 5, sc and first dc)....doesn't that seem like an awful lot of area to suddenly skip?

Screenshot 2020-02-17 at 1.25.43 PM.png

15 answers to this question

it looks like this is the pattern, isn't it?  https://www.yarnspirations.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-master-catalog-spinrite/default/dwf02cf8c1/PDF/RHC0502-021652M.pdf

have you tried it the way you think it should go, and found it doesn't work?    could you post a pic of what you have so far?

it is on Ravelry so you might look at project pics and notes, also posts about it, for more thoughts.  

Yes it is that pattern.

I figured it out. I just started doing it the way it said, and sort of figured out that I had to add in a sc in that ch 5 space I was skipping,as well as 3 dc in the sc I was skipping. Sometimes you just have to forge head and go back when you figure out what you are missing.

• Like 1

The instructions for that row, copied and pasted from the pdf linked above, say

Row 5: Ch 1, sc in first dc, *3 dc in next sc, skip next dc, sc in next dc, 3 dc in next sc, sc in next ch-5 space; repeat from * across, working last sc in 3rd ch of turning ch, turn.

So, the directions appear to be correct.  Maybe you saw 'sc' and your brain read 'skip'; this happens to me sometimes on doily patterns where 1 pattern line is a lengthy paragraph; my brain gets 'cross-eyed' and I'm 'certain' it said y but after y didn't work I have to stop and parse each step carefully until I 'see' it really said z.  The only thing you skip in row 5 is the second dc after the *.

Sometimes, since I work with paper patterns I can usually scribble on, I'd take a complex line and parse it into little visual bites, like:

Row 5: Ch 1, sc in first dc, /*3 dc in next sc, / skip next dc, sc in next dc, 3 dc in next sc, sc in next ch-5 space; /repeat from * across, working last sc in 3rd ch of turning ch, turn.

• Like 1

Wait, I just realized my brain went cross-eyed just now too, I missed your mention of the chain-2 space, which is at the end of row 4 so the first thing (well, second thing actually) thatyou encounter in row 5 - and row 5 does not address it.

Row 4 ends in 'ch 2, dc in last sc, turn'.  Row 5 begins by saying 'ch 1, sc in first dc, but it didn't say to skip the ch2 space before the first dc you encounter.  Hmm.

I looked at the Ravelry projects and read all the notes, 1 person said it was full of errors, another one said it was the first time they ever made anything from actually reading a pattern and thought it was a piece of cake, so no help there but you have to assume the pattern is not wrong--unless maybe it was amended with corrections sometime between your ball band and the version on the 'net.  Lots of finished projects that looked nice, not wonky...maybe skipping that chain 2 makes part of the 'netting' look.

Edited by Granny Square

I am using the one on the Net and it truly is full of errors. From row 2. when I am supposed to get 53 loops, and I end up with 55. I have triple checked my number of sc.  I even just made an excel sheet and it's not possible to have 53 loops with the directions given. No wonder I haven't been able to do this pattern at all. :(

OK, I just diagrammed out 1 repeat for all 9 rows.  Because that is the WHOLE pattern, even tho copyright refers to words and photos of the copyright owner, I think it is borderline not-legal to post my diagram.

I can confirm that there are no errors in the pattern.  Do exactly what it says don't assume anything.  Where I was wondering about why Row 5 didn't spell out to skip the chain 2 in the prior row...the pattern does say to SC in the first dc, which is right after the chain 2--and yes, the chain 2 is part of the 'netting'.

Edited to add, for more clarity - in the photo in my post below, the chain 2 in row 4 is right where the number 4 is, so it is at the border of the netting/open area at the edge, and the diamond itself.

Edited by Granny Square

Here is a swatch of 1 repeat, odd number rows are in white, even in green.  I thought it would be easier to spot a questionable area if the rows were color coded.

It's a little hard to see the diamond with the different colors, so I outlined it in blue.

Except for omitting turning chains because I was cutting the yarn and starting with a slip knot each row, it is exactly to pattern.  Rows 9 and 8 would probably look better if you made the stitches into the chains, not around them like I did.

It looks a little odd because I cropped it really close to the edge stitches of the swatch - the threads that are going off to the left and right are just the yarn tails that I cut for each row, not a continuation of the pattern.  If you want to make a swatch like this as a sanity check / practice piece for yourself, start with 10 chains, turn, then 9 sc across.

Diamond Trellis Throw.jpg

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 2

Your welcome!  It is a very pretty pattern, and I can imagine if you have never made a stitch pattern with an offset element, like how these 3-DC shell stitches are nestled together, it would seem odd.

I've learned after many decades to blindly follow the directions, even if I'm thinking ?what? I have found that the great majority of the time (1) I learn a cool new way to do something or (2) I was thinking 'B' but it was obvious 'A' was the way to go once I did it, or (3) it leads me to spot a mistake I made on the row before....  Yes, sometimes my doubt is justified but wrong directions lead me to what they really meant, and what to change to achieve the same end.

Well, as you can see I only did 1 repeat, of the pattern (worked over 9 stitches), so not 53 spaces...

I'm sorry you are having problems with this, it is a pretty pattern.  Although it's rated easy, (and I agree with that rating) it is not a mindless pattern, in that you have to pay attention and every row is different--there is a repetition within the row, so you have to memorize a several-stitch-repeat that changes every row.

Edit- see post below.

Edited by Granny Square

I edited my above post, I just realized I blew it--I misread (and mis-diagrammed) round 2, and I was following my diagram.  I totally missed that the repeat was skip 3, I read it as skip 2 for all but the last (1) DC.

"Row 2: Ch 5 (counts as dc, ch 2), skip first 2 sc, sc in next sc, *ch 5, skip next 3 sc, sc in next sc; repeat from * to last 2 sc, ch 2, skip next sc, dc in last sc, turn—53 ch-spaces".

Maybe that's the mistake in the pattern, and I accidentally corrected it?  Let me fiddle with this, I'll be back...

OK, to back into the stitch count 53 chain spaces, we know the 2 ends are different, so to do the math on 51 chain spaces:

The middle repeats are all "skip 3, sc in next", so cover 4 stitches.  4 x 51=204 stitches.

The first chain space is "skip 2, sc in next" so covers 3 stitches.  The last chain space is made when there are 2 stitches left.

204 + 3 + 2 = 209.  So, to get 53 chain spaces, you'd have to have row 1 be 209 sc, not 217, therefore you'd want to chain 210 not 218.  Double check me, but I think that is right.  Oh, wait - you had 55 chain spaces not 53, so if you followed the pattern 2 chain spaces is 8 stitches, 209 plus 8 is 217, which is the number of sc the pattern starts out with...  Aha!