Great Yarns v.s Shuttles, Needles and Hooks

Yarnmistress

Well, aside from Michael's and A.C Moore here the only other palces I found that sells yarn are Great Yarns and Shuttles, Needles & Hooks.

I discovered Great Yarns when my father inlaw and I went used bookstore hunting. It's a small place, not very easy to walk around in, but I love it The ladies there are so nice and always willing to help if you have any questions about anything. They sell higher priced yarns mostly, but have some lower priced skeins as well.

I searched the phonebook and found SNH, my mother and I drove to it (downtown area) and when we found it we thought , " Oh cute it's in a little old house". Once we were inside though I felt not only clausterphobic, but it smelled bad and it was the most unorganized place I have ever seen. Skeins and shanks were thrown on the floor. Shelves were stuffed so full that if you pulled anything, the whole shelf would come down. There was no room to walk and the two ladies that ran the place didn't even acknowledge us when we came in.

I would never shop there. It was so yucky. Now Great Yarns I go to whenever I get the chance. It may be very close quarters inside, but atleast it is clean and you can find things.

• 1 year later...

I have to disagree with that last post. I love SNH's. It is definitely in a historical old house, but it is like a great big yarn stash...not a mess. There is something to the chaos and I just love it. They are very helpful and very knowledgable about anything yarn. If you are looking for that Downtown Cary feel, this place is a must!

:yay

• 11 months later...

I used to visit Shuttles, Needles and Hooks at least once a week. I loved their wonderful variety of yarns, hooks, patterns, books; even spinning and tatting supplies. But I decided not to shop their anymore because the owner, two women who sit and knit there most weekdays and staff are very rude and arrogant. Also parking is difficult (on or across the street) unless you get there early in the morning. If you want fantastic variety and don't mind organized chaos and rudeness, then Shuttles is a great place.

If however, you prefer a well organized and very friendly LYS, please try Great Yarns in Raleigh. They have a good variety of yarns (though not many crochet patterns), very reasonable prices, and they really care about their customers. Great Yarns Rocks! :clap

• 1 month later...

Archived