Stuck in a pattern of crochet

Patriciab

Question

Hello, 

I’m trying to crochet a textured panels throw. I did the first row which may be I executed wrongly as on my 2nd row I started as ch2, sk first st, fpdc around next st, *(sc in next st, ch 1, puff st shell- puff stitch :  see Specials stitches ( yo, insert hook in given so, yo, draw lp through) twice ( 5 lps on hook), yo draw through 4 lps on hook, yo, draw through 2 lps on hook), in next lg V-st which mine is not!!

Can some one help me understand what did I do wrong in the first row at the end and thats why I have this issue.

R, 

Trish

1 answer to this question

If I'm reading this correctly, I think you may have diagnosed the problem - you said you might have erred on the first row.  Did your first row give a stitch count at the end?  Not all patterns do, but well written ones will give the instructions for the row, then at the end say something like "15 DC, 30 lg V stitches" so you can STOP and check your work and go back and fix a problem right then.  The best way to avoid headaches is to nip problems in the bud right away, stop frequently and 'admire' your work, count your stitches especially on the first row since that's setting up the whole project.  And further along, keep doing that - better to spot an error 2 rows down than 22 rows down.

If a (usually lacy) pattern says "do something in next lg V-st", it doesn't necessarily mean that the very next stitch available to you IS a lg V-st, it may mean to  'do something after skipping however many other sort of stitches are between you and the next lg V-st".  Sometimes patterns will be very specific, for example if there are 3 DC between where your are, and the next lg V st, it may say 'skip next 3 dc, something in next lg V-st', but not always.  

A lot of times looking at the pattern photo and comparing it to the spot you are questioning in your work will answer a question of 'did it mean this, or that?'

What's the name of the pattern?  Is it free on a blog, in a book, or-?  If we can see what it looks like we might be able to be more specific.  (don't scan & post the whole pattern here due to copyright laws, but typing out a couple of lines, or giving us a link to look at it is OK)