Yarn holder

jessiejames

So this year, I decided to make a temperature blanket. And so far I’m really enjoying it. The issue that I’m having though, is how to store all the different colors of yarn so they don’t get unraveled, tangled, etc. Currently, the different yarns are all still in the bag from the craft store when I’m not working on the project, but this won’t be practical for long

I usually wind my skeins into a ball (by hand, but I rarely work on items with more than a couple of colors so this works for me, and I don't own a swift and ball winder).  

For a while, crochet a row a day, and wind a ball a day for example. 

Factory skeins that are partially used can get floppy and tangly (especially if you pull from the center), but I find that wound balls behave better.  You can secure the end under a strand beneath, easy to undo when you need to but just sitting around or jostling in a bag the end will usually stay put, so no tangling.

• Like 1

Granny Square, I’ve done that for other projects, and will probably end up winding the skeins soon that I have been using most. Just need a place to put them. I found a link to just use a basket that has holes in it, and I might try that and see how well the ideas work together. Thanks!!

2B30AE4A-8ABB-48AB-BD83-498E6194C29A.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

These my come in handy if you use the basket in your picture, I've used them before and they work great!!  I pull my yarn from the center of the skein. Not sure how they are if you pull from the outside.

https://www.anniescatalog.com/detail.html?code=807713&source=FABSEMB&msclkid=8f1f3953f757126d07c6672725b9b8c9&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=%23PLAs(BSC)&utm_term=4585307085272298&utm_content=All Products