Help me with this pattern x

Crochetgal16

Question

The patterns is a crochet owl patterns and this part is for the face panel which ends up on top the the initial body.

It says: 

chain 12
rnd1:  2 hdc in 4 chain from hook 8 hdc, 3 hdc in last stitch, turn(14)

rnd2: chain 2 2 hdc in same stitch, 12 hdc, 3 hdc in last stitch, turn(18)

basically I’m mega confused on what it wants me to do with the half double crochets, will someone please explain, thanks x

1 answer to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  And Happy New Year!

It sounds like you are making an oval, which is a little mind bending the first time you do it.

When you work into a chain, you use 1 or 2 loops of the chain, leaving 1 or 2 loops free depending which way you do it.  I recommend you do NOT make the first part of the oval into the 'back bump' when working in an oval, it will be extra fiddly.

Basic oval theory: you work down 1 side of the chain with 1 stitch into 1 chain as usual until the last stitch, into which you make a lot of increases, and then the 'turn' part is turn 180° (same side is facing you as before) and work into the underside of the chain, using the free loop(s) you didn't use on the first pass and heading back to the first stitch, into which you put lots of increases.  It's a good idea to mark the first stitch, and probably the middle stitch of the increases on each end so you don't go askew which is easy to do.

The (14) and (18) at the end of the rows rounds should be your total stitch count at the end of the round, just a sanity check so you can make sure you are on the right path.