Help with corner to afghan

nannyflowerseverywhere

Question

Hi, I am making a corner to corner afghan /blanket for my mom. I'm using 2 colors and want to have my darker color on either corner and grey in the middle. I've already crocheted 21 rows of claret color and I thought I would be able to do 21 rows of grey and then another 21 of claret to finish my blanket and everything would be equal and it would be the approximate length I want. So far I have added 11 rows of grey after the claret and it doesn't appear that equal rows of colors is gonna work for me. I don't know when to start decreasing to make this work out or even if it will work out. If anyone can help me figure out what I should do I would greatly appreciate it. I hope what I have described will make sense. Thanks Donna

6 answers to this question

Edited what I was guessing earlier, I surmised it had to do with 'odd or even' but was curious. This only took a minute because I already had the graph paper template set up in Excel -- I chose to graph a 7x7 grid, and an 8x8 one.  

You wanted the same color on all 4 corners: If you look at the graphs, if your 'across' number of blocks is even, this is never going to happen because an even number of stripes will always start and end with a different color.  Your 'across' number has to be an odd number of blocks across, and an odd number of rows, to give you the same color in each corner.  Note it doesn't have to be square, visualize the odd grid with only 5 rows, or 3 and the ends still all match.

140586550_c2cstripes.jpg.0ada86e94812867af86202e7c79e04b7.jpg

Edited by Granny Square

Here is a version that will let you get by with minimal ripping, from what you already have, is symmetrical but I'm not sure it's what you have in mind.  BTW, part of what I edited out earlier was that it is always a good idea to swatch to get a rough idea of the # of blocks you'd want in both directions, and worked backwards from there to plot it out ahead of time for something like this

c2c stripes 2.jpg

Granny Square, thank you so much for replying so quickly and I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. Christmas and Christmas cooking took over my life! LOL I'm going to go with your graph and I can promise you I will never make another afgan without swatching! I've never done the corner to corner in multiple colors and in something this large before, and any time I use C2C again that I will be putting a lot more thought into it. I hope your holidays are wonderful and a big ole hug to you for being so helpful. Donna Kay