Large crochet letters

Sdavie

Question

Hi! So I'm kind of stumped right now. I made a queen sized blanket and I wanted to put letters on the front by crocheting them separately, but now I've run into a problem. I need to make the letters really big but I can only find videos on how to do letters that are maybe 3 inches big but I need them to be like 13 inches and I'm not sure how to increase the patterns if that makes sense. Can anyone help me?

2 answers to this question

Yikes.  This would have been much easier stitching them in as you go, example Tapestry style.

First:  putting letters on something...is a real pain, I've done it a few times and it takes a lot of plotting ahead of making whatever they're going onto, and you've gone past that step.  How big is the blanket?  How many letters is your message?  Reason I ask, if it's for example a sofa throw size, you're going to get a max of 3 letters across if they are 13".  You need room for each letter, then at least 1 stitch between letters within a word, and even more spaces between words.   

There is a technique called surface slip stitch which might work for this, the stitch looks like a chain over the top of the work.  It's sort of like embroidering with a crochet hook.  You could create block outlines of the letters (play with some graph paper first, you can find printable graph paper online).  Here is a tutorial https://www.crochetspot.com/how-to-crochet-surface-crochet-or-surface-slip-stitch/

You could also cross-stitch the letters on, a lot of old-time crochet throw patterns were done this way using SC or Tunisian stitches as a base for elaborate cross stitched flowers...it just occurred to me that this method, plus the above one, really only would work well with SC and maybe HDC, but not taller stitches, so may not work with your blanket.

This set of patterns (1 pattern for each letter) doesn't say how big the letters are but might work for you, might even be too big but if so you could work them in a finer gauge yarn.  (they are pillows, but you could just work the pillow fronts)

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/alphabet-pillows

4 hours ago, Granny Square said:

There is a technique called surface slip stitch which might work for this, the stitch looks like a chain over the top of the work.  It's sort of like embroidering with a crochet hook.  You could create block outlines of the letters (play with some graph paper first, you can find printable graph paper online).  Here is a tutorial https://www.crochetspot.com/how-to-crochet-surface-crochet-or-surface-slip-stitch/

"Yikes" describes that perfectly LOL

1) I done big beaded letters on monogram blankets for my 2 -granddaughters. I made those letters after I crochet those blankets. Let me tell you, that was not easy or fast and that was only one letter on each of those blankets. I know that probably will not be any help here. I will post a picture below.

2) That method "surface crochet" I did that on a baby blanket for a very different reason. Until today I did not knew there is such stitch even with a name on it!. I thought I came up with that LOL. I did not needed letters. After I crochet that blanket and pick that up, that whole thing was pulling down (weight of that yarn). That did not look good to me. I needed to do something to stabilize that blanket.  I added that "surface crochet" in white color (picture below) One every 4 rows of dc. It did stabilize that blanket, it worked! :).  Now as I am thinking I was having easy time with that. Because those were straight lines only. I would not want to do that in curves, like letters :(. That stitch looks exactly like a chain on top.

Krys

Beaded Monogram blanket for Reagan with R.jpg

DSC00380.JPG