Knitting questions

catwoman

Question

Hi. sm02.gif I was wondering if you could help me to try to understand in beginner terms like what is aspect ratios , how to figure them out and what is percentages in knitting and how to figure them out in math and what is variables in knitting and how to figure it out math wise? 🤔

1 answer to this question

Found an article on that subject https://knitting.today/the-mathematics-of-knitting/

Google 'knitting graph paper' and you can find sites where you can print your own, if you are thinking of designing colorwork patterns.

I've never needed to worry about dealing with the ratio math, except a little trial and error on the side stitch pickup for button bands for example (I usually skip a combination of every 3rd or 4th stitch, whatever it takes to keep it flat).  I make sure  to hit gauge for width when following a pattern for a wearable, but not row height (this is true of crochet most of the time, as well).   If it's a wearable, when the width is right I just work rows (or subtract them) until it's the right length; might get tricky if it's something like a multi-row lace repeat on a small thing like gloves, but height ratio has never been a thing that I've had to worry about calculating--I do alter pattern length to fit me, but that's usually by using a ruler not a calculator if that makes sense (like, remove a 3" pattern repeat but add 1" to ribbing, if I need something 2" shorter--that sort of thing).  

Archived