Reading a diagram

Lyne

Question

Link to diagram at the end of message 1) At bottom of 1st pg it says to ch 100 but on  it looks like I start 3 DC, ch 2 to end of row. Should I follow diagram?
2) For r2 I continue all the way around and follow the diagram upside down and sl st to beg chain.
3) but then r3 the line stops at the end what do I do?
4) I know I'm doing this in sections but if I start at # 1, should'nt I continue to the left? So am I making 2 leaves per sections? Then what do I do with the top diagram? I'm so confused! I really hope someone can help 😫

Link to diagram

4 answers to this question

Alas I don't speak French, so I'd follow the diagram (not being snarky, for me there's just 1 language there, and it's the diagram).

(1) I assume you are meaning the oval doily.  I didn't count the whole chain, I counted 10 and eyeballing it 100 looks about right.  So I'd make the number of chains that are shown on the diagram, turn, make the 3DC, chain 2, skip 2 repeat as it shows, 

(2) You are going to be working in the round, but in an oval not a circle.  Row 1 was the spine so to speak, and the pink round 2 is worked all the way around row 1.  You'll work across the top of the stitches in row 1 as usual, turn the corner as it shows, work into the underside of the chain to come back to the beginning and connect the last stitch to the first.  All the future rounds will be worked all the way around the prior round.  If you have never worked an oval like this, there are lots of videos out there that will show you the general idea.  Basically, you work a straight line, make increases at the end to make a half circle, work along the underside in a straight line, make increases at the end to make the other half of a circle, connect the rounds.  It's a common way to make the sole of a slipper, for example.

(3) The diagram stops, but you don't.  This is common when a pattern is diagrammed and if you cut a doily in half, it's the same or mirror image on 1 side as the other; or for a round doily where the pattern repeats like pie slices, it may just show you 1 slice and how the slices connect, rather than repeating the same x slices over and over.  So...this is sort of a hybrid, each petal along the straight part is the same, and the different way the ends are worked are the same, so it's only showing the important pieces once.

(4) I think (hope) my answer to your third question answers the 4th; you are doing this in rounds, not sections.  You're not making 1 leaf completely, then another leaf, and so on.  If you're working round x, you are working a few stitches of the first leaf, stuff in between, a few stitches on the second leaf, stuff in between, and so on.

Having said all that, I'm seeing something that looks like an error in round 2 (pink).  The base of the bottom leaf on the left has 3 stitches, as do the rest of the fully diagrammed leaves on that round but the set of stitches on the other directly across on the other side is only showing 2.  All the other leaf bases on that round, even , where the leaves aren't shown, show 3 stitches in that spot.

Hello again Granny Square,

After undoing my work so many times, I finally got it right with the help of your explanations! I am soooooo  happy and wanted to thank you again for taking the time to explain in details.

Happy Sunday 😁

Archived