Help with pattern (again)

Wutdafox

Question

I finish the first round with the right stitch count, but every round after it ends up different than the pattern, but when I add up the number of stitches on the calculator they are the same as the number I’m getting. Can anyone maybe tell me what I’m doing wrong?? On round 2 I got 67 stitches, round 3 I have 74, and a whole extra stitch left over, like it ended before the end of the last row. 

Link to pattern: 

http://www.miahandcrafter.com/atelier/snorlax-pattern/

5 answers to this question

Round 1 has 60, and so do you-OK.

Round 2 has 66, and you have 67 - you added 1 (just writing this out to help me visualize)

Round 3 has 72, you have 74 - you added 1 really, because you already added 1 the row before.

I have a theory, not sure if it's right, but this caused me grief until I figured it out.  You are 'sort of' making a circle; really a straight line, half a circle, straight line, half a circle, join to the beginning, chain up, repeat.  I think the problem might be at the end, where you join and chain up.

The spot noted in the pic with the red arrow is the slip stitch that joined the end of the prior round to it's beginning; out of that sprouts the chain 3, which is the first stitch of your current round.  It looks like an empty stitch, right?  But it's not, it's the bottom of the first stitch of the round.  You need to skip this phony stitch; if skipping it makes a gap, you could dc2tog the last real stitch and this phony stitch to fill the gap but not change your stitch count.

I think I recommended stitch markers when we chatted last - I've been crocheting nearly 50 years and use them all.the.time.  I even mark that phony stitch so I don't zone out and try to use it.

extra stitch in the round.jpg

Just occurred to me to point out - that little 'extra arrow stitch' happens any time you work in the round where you join a round with a slip stitch to the first stitch and chain up.  Doesn't have to be a flat circle, could be your oval shape, or even a tube.

Thank you again!! Going to start over and try again. I’ve been using a stitch marker to mark the slip stitch every round, so when I make my way back around I need to skip the slip stitch right? Thank you for all of your help, I personally don’t know anyone who crochets to ask help from!

You want to always skip the slip stitch when joining rounds, think of it as 'just glue' in this case, don't think of it as a stitch.  

So, put the marker where it makes the most sense to you.  My own habit is to mark the slip stitch, so I know to ignore it and know that the following stitch top is the first real stitch.  My logic is, this thing is a sneaky not-stitch, mark it  so I don't use it by mistake.  If that seems illogical to you, then mark the top of the first stitch instead, but remember to avoid that thing that looks like a stitch right before it.

That's the thing with stitch markers, you have to remember what the marker means (first stitch? last stitch? place to do something?).  It sounds odd maybe, but if you put a project down & pick it up later...you might forget your cryptic signals to yourself.  Perhaps scribble the marker meaning on the pattern if you're following a printout.

Just a thought -- if the style of the marker allows, put it thru both stitches, and know to skip the right hand phony stitch and slst into the left hand real stitch to start the next round.

Going to try this again right now, with the stitch mark in the slip stitch (that makes the most sense to me too, and more natural, because like you said sometimes the work gets put down and when it’s licked back up is some kind of mystery of yarn and markers lol) Also I’m using a different color stitch mark to mark at a certain number about half way through, just to help keep track. Thanks for all your help, hopefully it works this time!

Archived