Help! Blanket too wide!

sarrocpry

Question

I am working on a project which will be attached to a specific piece of fabric for a backing. It’s come out a few stitches too wide. I’m wondering if it’s possible for me to, when I do the boarder, to work into the crochet blanket 3-4 stitches in from the edge down the sides to shorten it a bit? Essentially hiding an inch or two between the crochet and the backing, of that makes sense. 

3 answers to this question

So, you mean like when you sew 2 pieces of woven fabric together, you'd sew maybe half an inch from the edge which gives you a seam allowance on the 'wrong' side, or in this case enclosed between the liner and the crochet blanket?  And only a couple of inches?

This would be a lumpy mess, I wouldn't recommend this.  A couple of inches, plus or minus, on a blanket isn't' usually a big deal, not like fitting a garment.  What would look much better is to attach the fabric a little bit 'indented' from the edge of the crochet- (1) hem the fabric, or at least press it under half an inch all around (yes, this will make it a bit smaller.)  (2) carefully lay out the blanket wrong side down, and the fabric right side up over the blanket evenly spaced as possible within the slightly larger crocheted piece, pin it all the way around, and mattress stitch or whip stitch the fabric edge to the crocheted piece.

This will look 100% better than trying to fold the bulky crochet work into a seam.  An alternate way to do this would be to 'quilt tie' the backing on as the last step, but you'd want to make a sewn hem around the fabric first if you do this, not just iron the edge under.  This would probably be better, because fabric doesn't stretch, and crochet does, so having the 2 pieces connected all the way across the blanket would stabilize the 2 fabrics better than sewing just at the edge.  Google 'how to hand tie a quilt' here are lots of tutorials out there (basically, needle and thread or your yarn, make a stitch at evenly spaced intervals; I'd think you'd want the knot tails on the fabric side)

Another alternative - find some more fabric and add a border around the bigger fabric piece, and then connect the bordered fabric to the crochet at the edges with no turned-under bulkiness (well, except the fabric hem of course).  You were talking about the crochet being only a couple of inches bigger, you might find some pre-cut and folded blanket binding in a solid coordinated color that might work (remember you'd want to allow for a seam allowance on your original fabric, when you measure).

I love all those ideas. Thanks so much, I have some videos to go find!

The crochet piece is done in a camouflage pattern yarn, and th fabric I’m using is a military issue poncho liner, but it could be possible to crochet around the edges of the poncho liner to make it a bit bigger and then work it into the larger crochet. You’ve given me a ton of options to consider and I really appreciate it!

Archived