HeyDayCrochet Doily Bag Questions

catwoman

Question

Hi.:)I need your guys help with the pattern for heyday doily bag :cryi'am having a hard time with making the bag.the pattern says that gauge doesn't matter on this pattern.I had to rip the bag back twice so far because the bag is still abit big for me.
The pattern is in uk terms.Its uk dc's and us sc's.I tried to do it with dc's. I am usually a loose crocheter .I have tried using both a h hook and a g hook.I am using my vanna choice worsted weight label 4.I don't know if I could use a f crochet hook on a 4 play label yarn.:(
The pattern is a paid pattern. the link to the picture of the bag and to the pattern is https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/537680804/vintage-doily-bag-pattern?ref=ss_listing
I hope that it might help.
The yarn that she uses is rico creative 100 percent cotton Aran which has on the yarn label of 17 sts and 22 rows 4 inches.

I don't know if I should try a few different things like trying to change the way I hold the yarn or change the yarn weight or go by the gauge on the yarn labels or change the type of crochet hook to plastic?

I don't know what to do.what do you guys think that I should do?

3 answers to this question

I don't think changing from an aluminum or wood hook to plastic will make a difference, for the same size hook.

I'd say an F hook is probably the smallest that one could use for worsted weight, but it might make for some hand cramping.  :(   

Just to make sure I understand what you said, the pattern is in UK terms, and where UK says DC you know to use a US SC--but why would you try to do a taller US DC (UK treble) instead?  That's going to make the bag bigger, and where there are US SC in the chain loop sections, will make it more gappy. 

If I were going to re-design it a bit to make it smaller, I'd try shorter stitches for the center and on the other side of the chain loop section.  A concern would be that the circle wouldn't lie flat, but the chain loop section might be flexible enough to overcome that problem.

The only other thing would be to work it in a DK weight and even smaller hook.  If that's really a copy/interpretation of a vintage pattern, most vintage bags like that were made of doily thread!  Of course you couldn't carry more than a few coins and a hanky in there.

Ah.  Something to keep in mind for circles that start in the middle like that...you have to be careful about making changes because the proportion between the diameter and the circumference has to be in a really narrow range to keep the circle flat.  That was my concern above about possibly trying shorter stitches for those really tall ones.  I would think your piece would also be ruffling if you subbed all the SC with DC.

Hang in there, we crocheters need to be fearless...I see some ripping in your future unfortunately :frog 

Archived