Need help with shawl pattern

Ptraylor116

Question

Hey there, I'm working on my first real shawl and I'm getting confused by the pattern. I'll just start with the first problem, and hopefully I did it wrong and the rest will follow! "4th row: Ch 1. 1 sc in first dtr. 
*Ch 4. 2 dc in center sc of next 3 sc. 
Ch 4. **(1 sc. Ch 3. Sl st in same sp as 
last sc – picot made. 1 sc) all in next 
tr. Rep from * across, ending with **
1 sc in 5th ch of turning ch. Turn

So do I chain 4, 2 DC in center sc of next three sc, chain 4,( 1 sc, chain 3, sl St in so as last sc to make a picot , 1 sc) the parentheses are all in the previous row's treble stitch. Then repeat all the way across? This is what made most sense to me...

3 answers to this question

Hey thanks for the reply! It was going well after that until I went to the next row which reads, " 5th row: Ch 7 (counts as dc and 
ch 4). 1 sc in first ch-4 sp (beside 
2 dc). Ch 3. 1 sc in next ch-4 sp 
(beside 2 dc). *Ch 7. 1 sc in next ch-4
sp (beside 2 dc). Ch 3. 1 sc in next 
ch-4 sp (beside 2 dc). Rep from * "

When it says sc in the 4th space, beside the previous row's dc, there's actually a DC there, but when it says ch 7 then sc in the next 4th space, but there isn't a DC there, from the previous row. Should I just continue, ignoring the (beside 2 dc)? Or am I missing something?

It's not 4th place, it's the chain 4 space.  So you chain either 7 or 3 (depending on where you are), stick your hook under the space (hole, or bridge) formed by the 4 chains below you, and work a SC over the chain; chain 7 or 3 again, work a SC over/around the chain, and so on.  You aren't making the SC into a stitch.

Archived