Irish Lace Pattern

debbie135

Question

I really like this pattern on yarnspirations but for some reason I'm having a hard time with it.  I understand round 1, 2 and 3 of the first square.  I'm having a really hard time understanding how to join the first square to second to fifteenth and I'm having a really hard time trying to picture how this makes a panel.  Any help would be appreciated.  The pattern says easy but....🙃

https://s3.amazonaws.com/spinrite/pdf/WEB-Patons-Canadiana-IrishLaceAfghan-ENG.pdf

3 answers to this question

This is what is called a join-as-you-go technique.  Have you done a JAYG before?  If you haven't, I think it's hard to visualize from a written pattern.  A video or photo tutorial for the general way JAYG are done would probably help.  I can look for one to link if you're interested.  

Think of it as when you are doing the last row of the second and subsequent squares, you 'reach over and crochet into a corresponding spot on a previous square'  then resume on the square you are finishing, reach over again, and so on.  It's awkward at first but sooo much easier than sewing up the squares later.

Archived