What does it mean?

LoveNeedleArts

Question

Making a pattern for a scissor case with crochet thread.   In making the decorative edging on the flap, the instructions say:

"Join with sl st over end st of Row 2, ch 1, sc over same st, picot,.   Then sc in base of next dc, sc over post of same dc, picot"

I know how to picot, but for the "sc in base of next dc, sc over post of same dc, picot" are they trying to say work a front post sc?

If not, then I don't understand.   Any thoughts?    

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

I've seen, on lacy patterns, DC or taller stitches "standing in" for a chain loop.  It sounds like that's what is happening in this case.  So not like a post stitch, but like it was saying "sc in beginning of next chain loop, sc over chain loop, picot",  

A lot of times it helps to look at the pattern photo as a sanity check - does that jibe with the photo?

the thing here is, you're working along the edge of the stitches, right?  so you sc into the base of the stitch, then around the post from the side.  

if you tell us the name and location of the pattern, maybe we can say more about it.  

Magic, thanks for helping to clarify what I was trying to say, the picture was clear in my head but I didn't describe it very well.

It could be in the side of the scissors case, but could possibly be into the side of a DC in the middle of a round that is standing aslant in some way.  I'm often surprised at how lace patterns, especially vintage ones, have pretty innovative ways of getting the thread across a round.

To the OP - the majority of times I encounter a 'weird' direction, unless it is a really obvious typo, I follow it (at least for a bit).  If it's an error, following it often shows me what it meant to say--sometimes it's what I guessed it meant, sometimes not.  Often though, it leads me to an entirely unexpected, sometimes decorative result.

Thanks so much ladies.    As it turns out, I figured it out before anyone replied.   Turns out it the sc at the base of dc was the anchor for the picot and then the sc in the middle of the post was the beginning of the next picot set.    My problem was I was not starting in the right spot.   Once I figured that out, the rest made sense.   Sometimes I need to read these things a dozen times until something "clicks in my brain!       Not likely to forget that for next time!   Guess that's how we all learn!  LOL

Thanks again!

Archived