Need advice

Mrs.Speed

Question

Hi 

I am a beginner in making crochet blankets and I was looking for advice on a blanket project I’m doing. I am currently doing a a half double stitch and I am on my 3rd thing of bernat baby blanket 3.5 oz balls. And my blanket has become wavy looking but is straight toward the beginning and looks good what can I do to fix the wave or will it straighten out as I keep adding on. Oh I also started will at 40 chain plus 3 and chain up by 2 on each new row. And I’m using a 11.5mm hook

Any advice would be much appreciated Thank you.

3 answers to this question

Hi, welcome to the Ville!

There can be different kinds of wave caused by different things.  Can you take a photo and post it, so we can see what is happening?  

And how many stitches per row do you have now?  

Welcome to Crochetville! 

Hdc is a fairly thick stitch. You're using very thick yarn. That means you need a huge hook. What happened is that you have too much yarn in too little of space.

Also, magic's suggestion of counting your stitches now is spot on. If your stitch count isn't still 40, your sides will not be straight. 

As far as fixing, the only way to fix it is to rip it out and start over. I highly recommend only using sc or extended sc with that yarn. Before you begin the blanket again, make a swatch 10 stitches across by 10 rows. Check that EVERY row is 10 stitches. Check that it lays flat. If yes, make the blanket. If no, make adjustments, like a different hook size, and try again.

Let us know how you do.

Archived