Stitches getting tighter?

alyssafetty

Question

So I’m new to crocheting and I am starting with a blanket using bernat baby yarn. I noticed the more rows I add, the tighter it gets. I know it’s probably due to the tension I have with my yarn, but is there anyway I can loosen my stitches instead of restarting? When I compare ends, one end is at least 6-10inches longer than the other. If you look at the picture, you can definitely tell where it changes in tightness. I know I have the right amount of stitches because I count every row or sometimes every other row. Hopefully someone can help!

image.jpg

3 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  I like that colorway, very calming colors.

I can't quite tell from the photo where the tension changes, but am guessing that since the top of the photo seems to be further away, and the stitches seem bigger, that the bottom of the photo that appears nearer, but looks like it has smaller stitches, is the problem. 

Throwing this out there - not tension related, but a lot of beginners miss the last stitch of the row, so their piece keeps getting narrower (but this usually happens with taller stitches).  Is your stitch count the same at the beginning and at your current row, and possibly be part of the problem?

Also, I as a beginner (and I suspect I'm not the only one) crocheted tightly.  I found that I was forming the stitch close to the tip of the hook, at the 'throat' not over the shaft which is what regulates the size of the stitch.  I ha to re-train myself to change how I made the stitches.  However, this wouldn't explain your changing tension.

Or, something that is true of not just beginners, sometimes our tension can change on a large project; it gets heavier and we handle it differently; we crochet tighter or looser if a scary chase scene is on TV; when we're upset, etc.

To answer your question about loosening your existing stitches--no, I'm afraid not.  Crocheters are a tough lot, we have to endure a lot of frogging (ripping out - rip it, rip it, like a frog noise).  I've probably ripped out enough stitches in my crochet career to make a cozy for a 3 bedroom house.  Good advice (not original to me) - always stop admire your work frequently.  Better to spot something wrong 2 rows down than 22.

Welcome to Crochetville from me, too!

It's difficult to imagine that so much difference is due to tension, especially with such thick yarn.

My guess is the stitch count, too. Do you know how many stitches in your first row? If no, turn it upside down and count the chain loops at the bottom. Then count the top row. If your top row count is lower, then that's why it's narrower. The only way to fix it is to rip back until you get to the row that has the same count as row 1.

When you're doing single crochet, you chain 1 at the beginning of a row. The chain 1 doesn't count as a stitch. Your first sc is in the first < and your last sc is in the last <. (These rules are different for taller stitches.)

Let us know your first row and last row counts.

Hi, I just saw your question, hope it's not too late to reply.

I had the same problem, I solved it by changing the style of hook I use to a Clover Soft Touch.  I also like the Clover Amour hooks.  Both have short shanks and soft handles and are very comfortable.  My problem was the stitches kept sliding down the other style of hook to the larger end and then I'd tighten the stitch to complete it.  My tension was never consistent. The Clover styles have shanks that are the same circumference from the hook to the handle, and the handle stops the stitch from sliding.  There are other brands in this same style, Clover just happens to be the one I found at my local yarn store.

Also, wind your yarn into a ball first and put it in a big bowl to work from.  The ball will keep it from rolling off the table. And you can pull a good long bit of it out to work from so you're not fighting the skein's tension as you crochet.

Take breaks and shake your hands out every half hour or so, and check your work every six rows or so by folding it length wise to see if the edges meet, and then width wise to see if the edges meet.

Gosh how I do run on...

Archived