Hooded Scarf Pattern Help

boogada88

Question

Hello, I am brand new to crocheting and am attempting to read my first pattern. I am already stuck on the first row. It reads, "With A, ch 35, sc in second and third chs from hook, *ch2, sk 2 chs, sc in next 2 chs, rep from * across, turn - 18 sc and 8 ch- 2sps = 34 sts. 

The only segment that makes sense to me is chain 35 and sc in the second and third chain from hook. I get lost at the **. And what are the 18-8-2 numbers at the end supposed to mean? If someone could help me with this I would appreciate it so so much!

5 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville! 

I'm going to start with your last question. Everything after the - is not instructions. It is stitch counts. Count your stitches after finishing row 1. You should have 18 sc stitches. When you chain 2 and skip 2, it creates a space. It's called a ch-2 sp  (chain-2 space.) You should have 8 of the ch-2 sp. 18+8=34.

* means to repeat. You're going to repeat the sequence ch2, sk2, sc, sc until you get to the end of the row. 

Here's a link that will help you read the instructions...

https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/tip_crochet.html

Is it saying to make two chain stitches into the original chain of 35 and then skip 2 stitches in the chain of 35 followed by 2 sc in the chain of 35? Or is it saying to make 2 new chain stitches not including the chain of 35. I am trying to make as much sense as I can.....thank you for your help!

You can't make a chain stitch 'into' anything.  You can only make a chain 'into the air'.  You are making a lacy pattern --2 solid stitches, 2 chains which make an eyelet gap, (because you are skipping 2 chains foundation chains below, the 2 chains you make into the air span the skipped chains)  2 solid stitches...etc.

Archived