lengthening sleeves on a poncho pattern

southpaw211

Question

Hi, everyone!  Can you tell me how one would lengthen the "sleeve" portion of a poncho?  The pattern I'm eyeing is the standard v-front style, but I'm not a fan of how short the "sleeve" part of it is--in fact, most I've seen are no more than 3/4 length when finished.

I'd like to stay to the v-front style (looking to make a poncho with a decided hippie flare!) but I'd love to have the sleeve part longer without it being a cape.  How do I do that?

Thank  you so much for any help!

2 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville! 

What's the link to the pattern? It's hard to give suggestions without seeing a pic. The following is generic for ponchos...

Most ponchos are made by making a circle for the neck, followed by rounds with increases until it's the length you want. Or by making a triangle/rectangle, then sewing it together. 

Either way, if you add more rows, you lengthen both the sleeves and the body. The rows can be in the same pattern or in a border pattern. Adding fringe gives an appearance of lengthening. 

I know what you mean, a lot of that style more or less end at the elbows.  I solved the problem by just continuing, so it was more or less wrist length but also longer front and back.  My project started out as a nearly identical granny-stitch pattern to the one linked below (except elbow-ish length in crochet, with a fringe edge that made it somewhat longer looking), and I actually finished it that way.  After wearing it a bit, I decided I wanted to ditch the fringe and lengthen it so I morphed it into a 'coming home' style poncho (really, just kept going in pattern to lengthen and figured the pattern repeat for the edging) - this pattern photo shows about how the length ended up when worn.   This is showing bulky weight but could easily be done in other weights as well.

If you don't want it longer front and back, you probably would need to go the circle route, but that's not so hippy looking....

Archived