Item repair help

versora

Question

9 answers to this question

Oh dear, you've really snagged it.  Do you have any more of the yarn?  (I never throw away those left over partial yarn balls, some are decades old...you'll never know when you'll need a little bit for something )

If you have more of the same yarn, you might try slicing the longer yarn tail and try to fake the pattern if the torn part isn't going in the same direction as you crocheted it (I can't quite tell the orientation).  Or, try to darn it with the original yarn in a close proximity of what the pattern is supposed to look like at that spot.

If you don't have the same yarn, you could try mending/darning it as invisibly as possible with matching sewing thread.

Some ways to splice yarn below - another, if this is 100% wool, is a 'spit splice', where you unply both the ends a bit, get them wet (doesn't have to be spit!) overlap them and rub them together until the wool felts.

https://www.craftsy.com/blog/2015/12/russian-join/

http://www.lavisch.com/site/making-a-braided-join/

By the way, if this happened because it just came apart...it's a good idea to leave LONG tails to weave in (at least 6" to give you room to thread the needle and sew it securely.  Also, don't just crochet over ends, unless you combine that with also leaving a tail to weave in more after that).

it was snagged on something during a trip to Florida two years ago. I packed it away carefully and just now remembered I had to fix it. The yarn I used was Red Hear with Love. 

Turns out the problem got bigger. Two stitches are left without their top posts, and I'm afraid of doing anything, and if it helps I crocheted this right-handed. and if I thought it possible I could possibly try to frog it and re-crochet it. not sure how that would work. Thanks for helping. I'll definitely check out the links

P.S. I found the pattern: https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/may99_crochet.html

1106172318.jpg

I may be wrong, but I think those 3 'headless' stitches may really be 'bottomless'.  In the row below them, it appears that the back side of the stitches are facing us, and the bottoms are at the top of the photo (wrong side stitch bottoms sort of stick out more than the front, that's the easiest way to tell).  You should be able to save those stitches from more unraveling by threading that loose bit of yarn at the right thru the loops that the yarn end is close to, and also securely darning that loose bit at the left.  I still think you might be able 'fake darn' it back together, if not with yarn then with matching thread, or both. 

But, if you don't feel confident doing that, you're probably going to lose some yarn unraveling it to re-make it, so you might need to plan on omitting a row or changing an edge to a shorter stitch to make sure you have enough.

when I try to darn it with the yarn attached it looks a bit awkward. and my shawl is pretty big, so a missing row will not affect it. I am also looking into professional item repair if I can afford it as a very last resort. Because I don't want my prized piece to be forever boxed up

Good luck, I hope you can find someone that is skilled and reasonably priced.  Honestly, I've ripped and re-done bits or all of so many things over the years that I'd just re-crochet it myself, but I know that's not everyone's view (I enjoy the process as much as the product).  

Yes, but all of them dealt with holes in the middle of afghans. But I did learn enough that my particular case would require extensive repair. the little string left isn't enough to fully repair. So I'll have to get more yarn and attempt a better repair.

Archived