I really need help on this, is not mentioned in pattern

Jessamatsu

Question

I am a complete beginner. When I am doing this scarf patten, these are the instructions:

• Row 1. Dc into the 4th chain from the hook (3 skipped chains count as first dc stitch) and in each chain across.
  • Row 2. Ch 3, turn, dc into the second dc and in every dc stitch from the previous row all the way across.
  • Repeat Row 2 until the scarf measures your desired length.

When I am completed with row 2, I will continue on again and do row 2 repeatedly. I understand that, but when I get to the end of the row (technically my row 3), I will have a large loop from the DC ch 3 from the previous row. How do I work this into the row so that my edges are even? It does not state this in the pattern. Do I skip the last stitch, work a DC into the top of Ch 3 from the previous row? I cannot find anywhere that shows this in detail, or even mentions for that matter. The only information I have found is it is called a chain 3 gap and that if you want to avoid it you can instead of ch 3 for DC, ch 2 and not count it as the first stitch, i.e., work into it. If I don't work this in and continue on, it seems to flare out my edges because it's so bulky. 

Thank you so much for any reply; I'm sorry if it is convoluted, but I have a hard time explaining this.

3 answers to this question

So, most crochet stitches have 'turning chains' to bring the yarn up to the height of the next row.  The taller the stitch, the more turning chains.

Here's the rule - in general.  

SC - turning chain is 1, it does not count as a stitch ever, or at least in my decades I haven't run across a pattern were it does.  

HDC - my least favorite single stitch, is also a little odd because the turning stitch is either 1 or 2, and sometimes does, sometimes doesn't, count as a stitch.  The pattern should tell you.

DC - turning chain is 3, it does count as a stitch.  Typically when you end a row (beyond the foundation chain row), you chain 3, turn, skip the first stitch, and dc into the NEXT stitch.  When you come back to this chain 3 at the end of the next row, you make your last dc of the row into the topmost chain of that chain 3 you made at the beginning of the previous row.  The reason you skip a stitch here is , if you made a stitch there instead of skipping it, it would increase the count of the stitches in the row - which you don't want to do.  (I'm going to tell you a secret below)

Taller stitches are like DC, but you add more chains to turn.

So to answer your question, when you reach the end of a row, you don't skip any stitches, but you DO make the last stitch of the row into the top chain of the chain 3 that started the row below. 

The ugly truth...when you chain 3, skip a stitch, it keeps the stitch count even but can cause a little gap (the large loop you described).  If you chain 3, and don't count that turning chain as a stitch, and crochet into the first (usually skipped) stitch, it makes a bumpy/loopy edge.  The secret is...there are a couple of  ways to avoid the gap or the bumpy edge.  One, which is fiddly but looks great, is a chainless turning DC (tutorial below).  Another method is to turn, and without chaining make a SC a little loosely, then chain 1 into the first stitch that is usually skipped.  When I come back to that spot at the end of the next row, make a DC into the chain 1.  It doesn't look bad, fills in the gap and keeps a straight edge.  If you make tallish stitches, you might want to chain 2 instead of 1 - whatever looks better to you.  A tutorial on the chainless turning DC

Hi Jessa, welcome to the ville!  Granny Square's post is a great reference on the subject :cheer Please do ask whatever you need to, we love to talk about crocheting around here !

do you have a good reference book on crochet?  some titles to look at would be the Crochet Answer Book by Eckman, Complete Photo Guide by Hubert, Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet.  Your local public library probably has these, if you are in the US or elsewhere with a library system.   

Archived