Help understanding pattern

Jennie1031

Question

On the pattern it says, w right side facing, join yarn in next stitch of last long row, work pattern in same st & next 23. Work even until back is same length as front. 

So my question/confusion is, do I start in the spot I circled in yellow? What does it mean work until back is same length as front?

228FFB76-AB28-4387-8C17-83C233944878.jpeg

7 answers to this question

Relinking the pattern from the other thread http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/purpleicious-dog-coat

OK, for the small size, on row 1 you should have had 40 stitches, and should have worked over 40 stitches until the length was 9".

Now you are dividing for front (8 stitches, which you already have in your pic), back (24 stitches), and other front (8 stitches).  8 + 24 + 8 =40.

I noticed that your piece seemed to be getting narrow at the end, but thought (hoped) maybe it was the camera angle.  Apparently, unfortunately, you are losing stitches.  You're going to need to rip back to where you had 40, and re-do it.  Sorry....and don't feel bad, I've been crocheting and knitting for decades and have probably ripped out miles of yarn.  

The back and other front will be stitched in the blue direction, but they'll be sitting next to each other in the red direction...edited to add a diagram.

dog coat.jpg

So comparing my diagram to your photo, you have made the whole 12" width for the body/back (the blue direction), and the top piece sticking out on the left side.  You need to make the other two pieces sticking out on the left side.  On the last sentence of my last post, I tried to describe where these extensions were to be placed (that was before I added the diagram).  I guess I wasn't clear...I hope you don't mind if I infringe on your photo...the pieces are not to scale, I obviously just copied your one piece twice more, but that's how it's going to look.  

Have you re-worked your piece so you have enough stitches across?  As I said above, you will need to rip back and fix this before going farther.

Also, I think you've started a third thread for this pattern?  I just answered one about a tie on a dog sweater and just realized it was you, with the same pattern.  I'm not sure how you can have gotten to the tie if you haven't finished the back and other front...

dog sweater.jpg

Archived