Amiguruim dog pattern help!

Elem

Question

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and also fairly new to crocheting. I have a pattern for two amigurumi dogs i got from a magazine but I'm unsure of how to get started as the directions don't specify how long my chain should be. It just says 1ch and then 8 dbl stch. 

I'll attach images to show you. Any help would be great! 

Thank you

Linda

20170923_071702.jpg

20170923_071656.jpg

2 answers to this question

^ Right.  Some patterns worked in the round from the center will have you put multiple stitches into 1 chain, or make a tiny little ring of ~3 stitches which works but doesn't give you control over the center (pull it tight, or leave it loose - you'd want tight for your toy, but sometimes loose works better for other things).

When I first saw instructions for the magic ring, I thought it was confusing until I realized it was the same as the slip stitch you normally make at the start - just don't pull it tight, leave it open (say, 1"), and make your stitches into/around the ring and over the yarn tail.  When you have all your stitches done, pull the tail tight and make sure to weave it in well later.

If this is still confusing and you're anxious to get started with your project (although keep the adjustable ring in mind to try again later, it's a handy trick), try this (since you are starting with only 8 DC - I'm assuming UK terms):  chain 2, 8 DC in first chain--yes, you can get that many into 1 stitch.  The second chain doesn't count as a stitch, it's just the DC turning chain.

Archived