First time trying a written pattern and I am stuck... please help!!!!

JenArrowsmith

Question

Hi I have recently started to crochet and am slowly getting there and have made some nice simple things though everything has been via YouTube videos. My mum has just got me a book so I am attempting a granny square (number 3 in a book called 99 granny squares by LesureArts) and I am stuck on round 3. The pattern reads as follows:

Rnd 3: working around next 2 ch-5 sps and next slip st, (3tr, ch1, 3 tr, ch2, 3 tr, ch1, 3 tr) in ch-3 sp on Rnd 1, * slip st in next Cluster on Rnd2, working around next 2 ch-5 sps and next slip st (3tr, ch1, 3 tr, ch2, 3 tr, ch1, 3 tr) in ch-3 sp on Rnd 1; repeat from * 2 times more, working around going slip st, slip st in same cluster as previous joining: 12 sps.

Ok so I understand what the bits in the brackets are asking me to do but what I don't get is where to do them???? what do they mean by around???? am I simply doing the 3tr, ch1, 3tr, ch2, 3th, ch1, 3tr in the space created by the ch 3 space in the first round of the granny square??? Or as I expect have I missed something?? any help explaining this would be much appreciated!!!

I feel that I may be trying to be too adventurous too quickly but I thought the 3rd one shouldn't be too back (though the first one is a triangle 🤔

thanks Jen 

11 answers to this question

Hi, welcome to the Ville!  Looking at the cover on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Granny-Squares-Crochet-Leisure-Arts/dp/1574866532/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=       3 is a triangle.  Is that the one you're making?  Or is it one of those on the cover?  

Welcome to Crochetville from me, too!

Thanks for the link. I can see a close up pic of the one you're doing. It's light blue. 

The book you have is the British version. There's a difference between UK crochet terms and US crochet terms. There's also a difference between the way things are described. 

https://www.craftsy.com/blog/2014/10/british-vs-american-crochet-terms/

I'm not sure where you're from, but most of the people who respond on this forum know US terms. I sometimes scratch my head when I see a UK pattern. However, I think I know by seeing the picture. 

They have 2 uses of the word around. First, around means the same as the US spike stitch. Sometimes patterns have you insert your hook one or more rows below the previous row. What this does is creates a loop (s) over the rows that are skipped. The loop goes around the previous row(s).

Yarn over, insert your hook in round 1's chain space, yarn over and draw through a loop (loop should be long enough for your hook to rest on top of your work), finish the UK tr stitch. 

The second use of the word around means to continue working until you get back to the beginning... around the square. 

I hope this makes sense. Please let us know if it helps or if you're still confused. You can try looking at a video for spike stitch. 

Thanks Redrosesdz

I am actually based in the UK but I think this is a US book - everything I have done to date has been using US terms (seems to be the most common on youtube). Do you mind me asking why you think its a uk version of the book - I thought it was just a newer version as the first one is from 2002 and the one I have is from 2015. I only ask because otherwise I am probably doing the wrong stitches as I was expecting US so when I have been asked to 3 dc in US this would be 3 double crochet but if it was written in English form they would actually mean the equivalent of 5 single crochet???? I am now even more confused 😕 

thanks for trying!! 

Think I will look for an easier square and come back to this one when I have more confidence. 

Jen

There's 2 reasons I think it's in UK terms. The picture shows dc (US), but the pattern says tr. Also, the instructions aren't normal US pattern words. For example, the word around is rarely seen in US patterns, except when saying to continue around a square, circle, edge, etc. "Going sl st" is another example of something you won't see in US patterns. 

Look at the cover and inside first page to see where it was published. Did you buy it locally?

thanks again looking at the book it seems to be a US publication Leisure Arts all seem to be American and there is nothing saying produced in UK. I have now managed to attach the picture along side the instructions for the one I was attempting. Maybe this is just a really odd pattern as they don't really use this terminology else where in it. 

thanks again

jen

I was replying at the same time as you. I was wrong. It is in US terms, because it describes the tr as yo twice... and has sc in an instruction. 

You'll need to remove the pattern. It's against forum rules due to copyright violations. It's okay to type a couple of rounds, like your original post, but not the whole pattern. 

After saying all that. It is written weirdly! I still think that it's describing spike stitches in round 3.

Yo twice, insert your hook in rnd 1's ch-3 sp, draw up a loop, finish the tr.

Sorry wasn't trying to violate rules just thought it was the easiest way to get to the bottom of the problem. 

thanks so much for your help!! its also rather reassuring that it wasn't just me being completely useless at reading the pattern and it is just odd!!! 

pattern has already been removed and I will not do that again! thanks for all your help :) 

'..>>Rnd 3: working around next 2 ch-5 sps and next slip st, (3tr, ch1, 3 tr, ch2, 3 tr, ch1, 3 tr) in ch-3 sp on Rnd 1, * slip st in next Cluster on Rnd2, working around next 2 ch-5 sps and next slip st (3tr, ch1, 3 tr, ch2, 3 tr, ch1, 3 tr) in ch-3 sp on Rnd 1; repeat from * 2 times more, working around going slip st, slip st in same cluster as previous joining: 12 sps.<<<

I managed to get it from the Amazon link as it is #1  Yes it does leave alot to the crocheter to figure out.

rnd 2 isnt very good either as you do the clusters across the tr which isnt explained. edited to say it is in the beginning info though.

You will be working ifront of the ch 5's around the ch 3 of rnd 1

for the working around you do 3tr  ch 1 3tr in the ch 3 of rnd 1 in front  of the first ch 5 of rnd 2 then  skip the sl st,  ch 2 then do 3tr ch 1 3tr around the ch 3 of rnd 1 on the other side of th sl st there  working in front of the next ch 5 then sl st  in cluster./

Rereading the pattern there might be a different way they did it. Checking into it more.

I am trying the tr's around the ch 5's and sl st more like the pattern states.

Archived