Tunic Sleeve Help

TGS1901

Question

Hi all,

I'm making a shirt for the first time and I'm puzzled by some of the instructions. The full pattern can be found here: https://yarnspirations.s3.amazonaws.com/naturallycaron-files/projects/edgewater/edgewater.pdf

Where I'm stuck is at the beginning of the body. I've created a ring of 20 motifs to form the top of the tunic and placed markers for the front, back and sleeves between motifs as directed:

Place markers, between motifs, around lower edge of motif ring, to indicate Front, Back, and Sleeves, as follows:
To begin, place a marker between any two motifs.
Sk next 4 (4, 5, 5, 6, 6) motifs for front and place another marker.
Sk next 6 (6, 7, 7, 8, 8) motifs for first sleeve and place another marker.
Sk next 4 (4, 5, 5, 6, 6) motifs for back and place another marker.
Sk next 6 (6, 7, 7, 8, 8) motifs for second sleeve and place another marker

This next part is where I'm hung up:

With RS facing, join yarn with sl st in first marked front st.

Round 1 (RS): Ch 1, work 80 (80, 96, 96, 112, 112) sc evenly spaced across to other front marker, sk sleeve sts; beginning at first marked back st, work 80 (80, 96, 96, 112, 112) sc evenly spaced across to other back marker, sk sleeve sts; join with sl st in first sc, turn—160 (160, 192, 192, 224, 224) sc

To me this sounds like after you crochet 80 sc across the front four motifs, you skip six of them for the sleeve to get to the back four motifs, but this would leave a long piece of yarn just hanging in between. I don't see anything in the instructions that addresses what to do with this later. Can anyone shed and light on how this is supposed to work? Thanks in advance!

4 answers to this question

Hi, welcome to the ville!

Just do exactly what it says.  I'm not sure why there would be a long piece of yarn hanging?  

Are you on Ravelry?  you may need to sign in to see this, people can post project photos, and the in-progress photos are often very helpful, as well as notes.  http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/edgewater-tunic/people   I think if you look at the dark pink one you will see how it should look.  she changed the stitch pattern for the body but just ignore that detail.  

Welcome to Crochetville!

When you skip the sleeves and crochet an sc in the next stitch, it'll connect the front and back.  This makes the stitch under the arm.  The skip stitches form the rest of the sleeve.  The middle of the skipped stitches is the top of the shoulder.

I hope this helps!  Let us know if it doesn't look like that for you. 

Archived