andersonsrus

Question

I  am working on a C2 afghan that my daughter is having me make for her. I have the C2C pattern down but here is where I am in a pickle.

I want to make this about queen size or so (rectangle)

I am working with two colors a green which is the first color and a 2nd color which is dark brown.

I am going stripes and each stripe is 8 rows. I started with the green with 8 rows and I want to end

with the green with 8 rows also.

I have been working with this trying to make this work and I am just about to give up/

I know I have to increase and then do a increase/decrease followed by just decrease.

Can some one help me figure out how many blocks across I need and then where to do the increase/decrease which I am guessing need to be 9 rows which will be green and then not sure how many row of the increase/decrease I need before I do a straight decrease....

Help please

10 answers to this question

Pick anywhere that isn't an edge.  Measure 4" across and count the number of stitches.  Measure 4" high and count the number of rows.  This will tell you what your 4"x4" gauge is.  Once you know your gauge and the size you want to make, you can calculate how many stitches across and how many rows you'll need.  Without knowing the gauge, we can't help with the calculation.

Queen without drape = 60" x 80"

Queen with drape = 90" x 95"

Source: http://thecrochetcrowd.com/afghan-sizes/

They also have a calculator for afghan sizes:  http://thecrochetcrowd.com/afghan-calculator/

General construction when working from the corner is - 

If you want a square, keep increasing until the right-angle sides of the triangle are the right measurement, then start decreasing.

If you want a rectangle:

Keep increasing until the right angle sides' measurement = the short side of your rectangle

Then mark 1 side to stop increasing (just work to the same point and turn), but keep increasing on the other (unmarked) side

When the increase side is the length you want the rectangle to be, start decreasing on both sides.

So, if you are at 60 inches now (after 80 rows), and want the 90x95 measurement, you'd want to keep increasing for another 40 rows (if 80 rows are 60", 40 rows are 30" which is what you need to add to the current 60" to get 90"-- luckily the math is easy here!), stop increasing on 1 side only for 5", then start decreasing.  5 inches should be about 7 rows-ish (60 inches / 80 rows is .75" per row, so technically 6.666 rows...).

Edit, I just re-read that you wanted it to turn into a rectangle where a row stops, so that 7 rows could easily be 8 and you'd only be off a fraction of the suggested queen measurement.

OK, let's see...

You started with a green row (green triangle corner), so you want to end with a green triangle kitty-corner to it, in other words end with a green triangle corner?

In post 3, you had 10 stripes, so you should have ended with brown at this point.  (80 rows=10 stripes; odd rows are green, even rows are brown)

You need to add 40 more rows, or 5 more stripes, to make it the narrow width.  Now you are at 15 stripes, so green.  

Then, you need to add 1 more stripe, working even on 1 side, to make it a rectangle.  Now you have 16 stripes, so brown.

Now you will start to decrease on both sides.

If I'm doing this in my head correctly, this should work in reverse from the brown 16th stripe, so the 17th stripe should be green, and so should the last stripe.

Edit - I decided to 'draw a picture, and no, you won't end up with a green, you'll end up with a brown (sorry for my bad imagination before).  I know they are diagonal squares, but imagine them as stripes from the point of view of how they appear at the edge of the blanket.  If you start with a green at top left, then work until the dark brown (work even) row, then start decreasing, you end up with a brown row (ending triangle) not green.

BUT - you would end up with green at opposite ends if you made a square, not a rectangle, so either 90x90 or 95x95.  If you think about it, a queen bed TOP is a rectangle, but a blanket only hangs down on 3 sides.  Imagine the last column 'gone' (or 1 more row at the bottom) and you'll see what I mean.  BUT, the opposite corners are going to be brown--to be green you'd have split a stripe in the middle  (transition from increasing to decreasing on the 5th row of a green stripe).  Maybe you could make the square slightly smaller than the final size transitioning at a green row, and make a green border around?

post-13625-0-71199300-1486168513_thumb.png

Archived