In need of desperate help!

MariferGuerra

Question

Hi! I am a newbie at crocheting and so far loving it! I am now starting my 3rd project SOCKS!! I thought i was doing great but then I got stuck and don't know how to interpret this set of instructions if anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you! Happy crocheting!

Instruction: sc in center 14 sc at bottom of Heel. Mark last stitch with stitch marker. (Move stitch marker up as work progresses in subsequent rows.) Begin working in a spiral without joining rounds throughout-81 sc. - See more at: http://crochetkim.com/freepatterns/house-ankle-socks-for-men/#sthash.uOFpoJW7.dpuf

11 answers to this question

I am so sorry  I don't want to be difficult but I've been trying this all day and it isn't looking right haha I am starting to feel discouraged :/ ... I am going to put the whole round to see if you can help me figure out where to do the 14 sc or how and go from there please!! 

Gusset Shaping

Round 1: Ch 1, sc in side of 12 rows of Heel, sc in side of 43 remaining rows of Ribbing, sc in side of 12 rows on opposite side of Heel, sc in center 14 sc at bottom of Heel. Mark last stitch with stitch marker. (Move stitch marker up as work progresses in subsequent rows.) Begin working in a spiral without joining rounds throughout-81 sc.

Before this round everything has been pretty straight forward I haven't worked in spiral at all so I am not sure where or how to start

You've made the cuff ribbing and sewn it into a tube-check

You've made what is known as a 'heel flap' which in this case is a trapezoid, with the first row made into the side of 10 rows of the cuff-check.  (the wide end, with 16 stitches, is at the bottom back heel)

Now, you need to create a fabric that eventually connects the sides of the heel flap, the remaining bottom stitches of the cuff, and the 16 stitches at the bottom of the heel flap into a tube that will enclose the back end of the foot.  This is the gusset.  The number of stitches in this area is way wider than the foot, so you need to make decreases, with are the skipped stitches in the directions.  

You have left off at the last (16th) stitch at the bottom of the heel flap.

Now, turn the piece 90 degrees and work down the side of the heel flap--this brings you to the cuff.  Turn and work across the underside of the cuff.  Turn and work up the other side of the heel flap.  Now here is a part that I think could have been written better - "sc in center 14 sc at bottom of Heel" - this means, since you are working over 16 stitches at the bottom of the heel, that you skip the first and last stitch of the bottom of the heel flap.  Note, you will be continuing to skip stitches at this point in future rounds, sort of making a diagonal line on each side, until you get to the right number of stitches for the foot.

I hope this helps you visualize it?  It's very typical construction for socks, but is sort of mind-bending the first time you do it.

Oh good!  I was off making a really ghastly sketch.

The black tube is the cuff, the red trapezoid is the heel flap.

The black x is the last stitch you made on the heel flap, the solid blue line with arrows are the direction you will be working, the dotted blue line is the end of same round.  Sort of hard to draw what is happening in 3D.

post-13625-0-92392700-1485811614.jpg

post-13625-0-69134500-1485812617.jpg

Granny Square, that is such a great explanation!  Sketch is great , not ghastly.

I really feel like this pattern or one similar has been discussed before but maybe it was in another venue.  Anyway in order to make this thread easier to find (I hope) if it comes up again, I am adding the pattern name

House Ankle Socks for men by Kim Guzman

Aw shucks, thanks!  I just try to explain things the way that would have made sense to me the first time I encountered the same thing.

I amended the sketch a tiny bit, hopefully to show it better going in a round, maybe it will help the next person if they search for the same pattern, or generic sock help :hook

Archived