Need help with first row

Nicky Keat

Question

54ch, dc in 2nd ch from hook, dc in the next 7ch,pm,9ch just wondering that after I have dc in the next 7ch does that mean I have done 9ch?

Dc 26ch miss dc, which I have 2 double crochet the next 26ch then miss a double crochet,then at the end of this row it says (63ch & 59dc) what does this mean

If it easier I can post row 1 in full. Please help!

5 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!

Yes, it would be easier to help you, if you post the row in full.  Also, if you provide a link to what you're making (or the name and where you got it.)  I assume your pattern is in UK/Australian crochet terms.  US crochet terms are slightly different.

The (63ch and 59dc) at the end are your counts.  They are not instructions.  It means that at the end of the row, you should have done 63 chains and 59 double crochets. 

Row 1: 54ch, dc in 2nd ch from hook, dc in next 7ch, pm, 9ch, dc in 2nd ch from hook, dc in next 7ch, decm, dc in next 26ch, miss dc, dc in next 9dc, miss dc, dc in next 7ch, turn. (63 ch & 59 dc)

I I get this right lol might post the other rows has well lol

What are you making?  Could you give us the name of the pattern, and it's source (if it's a free pattern on the net, you could link to it; if it's a purchased pattern, or in a book or mag, it might help if we could find it and see a pic of the finished object).

I'm assuming these are UK terms, based on 'dc in 2nd chain from hook'.  Not sure what decrm is, does it define the term in your pattern?  Or did you mean rm, which is remove marker (pm is place marker).

It sounds like you are making a not-flat piece.  The red part is making sort of a 'spike' at one end, if I'm reading this right, of 8 dc that stick up 'in the air'.

Row 1: 54ch, dc in 2nd ch from hook, dc in next 7ch, pm, 9ch, dc in 2nd ch from hook, dc in next 7ch, decm, dc in next 26ch, miss dc, dc in next 9dc, miss dc, dc in next 7ch, turn.

It helps to spell it out....

• Do 54 chains (foundation)
  • dc in 2nd chain from hook
  • 7 dc stitches
  • Place a stitch marker
  • Do 9 chains
  • dc in 2nd chain from hook (working on the 9 chains you just made)
  • 7 dc stitches  (do dcs in the chain you just made to get back to the foundation)
  • dc 2 together where the stitch marker is (I think that's what they mean by decm)
  • 26 dc stitches
  • miss 1 stitch
  • 9 dc stitches
  • miss 1 stitch
  • 7 dc stitches
  • turn

Wow!  That is poorly written.  Above is my best guess.

I think I needed more coffee when I wrote the above post.  I totally misread 'decm', saw an r that wasn't there, sorry.  Also this would be a loop, not a spike, possibly for a button closure?

I also just sketched this out, the dc 2 together appears to be the last dc before you placed the marker, and the next free foundation chain.

Archived