Am I reading the pattern correctly?

Mothergooseberry

Question

I know we are not allowed to share whole patterns due to copyright infringement issues, but am I allowed to post a pic of the one "round" of the pattern language I am having trouble understanding? No one would be able to tell what pattern it was from by the text.

I am attaching the tightly cropped photo, and if it's not allowed, please let me know and I'll remove it.

The part I am having trouble understanding is where I had an arrow marked. I can't tell if that series of stitches after the word "Next" BEFORE you get to the bracketed set are supposed to all be inside the same stitch, or if each one is supposed to be in each of the next THREE stitches and then the bracketed ones in the next SAME stitch, because that's how I've done it. But then I got to the beginning ch3 of the previous round after only four of the six repeats following. Does that even make sense?

post-69473-0-84154000-1481991667_thumb.jpeg

21 answers to this question

Link to the pattern pic

https://www.craftsy.com/crocheting/patterns/super-why-wyatt-hat-/220167

I have a suggestion--I think you could make something very close by making a basic hat with colored stripes, or use the below info to fiddle with the pattern you have.

Link to Crochet Cabana's tutorial page, and scroll down to 'working in the round', then 'making a hat'.   If you're not familiar with working a flat circle, read through 'how to crochet in the round' first.  The main thing this teaches is how many stitches per round you need to have depending on the stitch you are working with, to keep the circle flat, and how to make a flat circle the right circumference to make a hat to fit any head with any yarn.

http://www.crochetcabana.com/html/tutorials.html

A guide to head sizes and other good stuff

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/size-chart.html

It sounds like row 5 in your pattern was the last black row, because that middle set of stitches you were questioning would make a 'low spot' in that  round; and the next round in the face color would have taller stitches to fit into that low spot (above the nose).

From the photo it also looks like the mask has taller and shorter stitches to make it wider around the eyes.

Ooops, hi Redroses!  :hi  Interesting on the errata; I tried to find the pattern on Ravelry to see if there were any comments, but no luck.

Sharon, my amazing crocheting friend just sent me the following after whipping the hat up real quick and testing the pattern. So it looks like someone who knows crocheting better than me was able to read the pattern and spot the mistakes really quickly. *sigh*

Ok, I have just finished my little hat and simply put, on the 5th round I only made 5 repeats instead of 6 repeats after the center motif I also figured out that she intended for us to not only count the chain 3 as the first stitch, but also to put a stitch in the same space. Some do this and some do not put another stitch in the first chain 3 space.  Also, on the 10th row, when she tells you to put 9 hdc in the center of the motif, I found that 5 was the right number.  You have to keep looking at the pattern to keep it symmetrical.  When a pattern is not written perfectly you just have to make adjustments as if you were creating it in the first place.

Argggg!  I just reread what I wrote and it's still off.  :(

• Ch 3, dc in same stitch (1 + 1 increase)
  • dc, dc, dc, 2dc - 5 times (4 x 5 = 20 + 5 increases)
  • hdc, sc, ss, [sc, hdc] (4 + 1 increase)
  • dc, dc, dc, 2dc - 6 times (4 x 6 = 24 + 6 increases)
  • dc, dc, dc (3)

Beginning count is 1 + 20 + 4 + 24 = 48.  Increases are 1 + 5 + 6 = 12.  48 + 12 = 60!

The ch 3, dc in the same stitch at the beginning plus the dc, dc, dc at the end is the same multiple as dc, dc, dc, 2dc.  What I wrote above makes 12 multiples of dc, dc, dc, 2dc AND the hdc, sc, ss [sc, hdc] in the middle.  That's 48 + an extra 4.  It still needs to be reduced by a multiple and have the hdc, sc, ss [sc, hcd] in the middle.

ETA: I'm sorry that I'm having so much trouble counting.  Usually counting stitches is my strong suit.  This stupid sinus infection that I'm fighting has my brain muddled.

Try this ...

• dc, dc, dc (3)

If round 6's taller stitches doesn't match the low point (hdc, sc, ss, [sc, hdc]) from round 5, then try splitting the multiple in the back.  For example, start with ch 3, dc in same stitch, dc and end with dc, dc.  You might have to fudge round 6 to get it right.

I have a friend of mine who is a WONDERFUL crochet artisan trying it out today to see if she could spot where the error is. I will share your info with her and see if she found the same thing. That would certainly line up with the problem I was having of spilling over from the last round because I ran out of stitches before I ran out of sets I was supposed to make. THANKS SO MUCH!!!! My brain is fried after this. LOL!!!

OH my goodness!  I think I just spotted the error in the pattern!  The error is in round 5.  You need to go into the 48 stitches from round 4, have 12 increases, which makes the end count 60 for round 5.

Here's the corrected pattern ..

• dc, dc, dc, 2dc - 6 times (4 x 6 = 24 + 6 increases)
  • dc, dc, dc (3)

Beginning count is 1 + 20 + 4 + 24 = 48.  Increases are 1 + 5 + 6 = 12.  48 + 12 = 60!

So, reduce the multiples of dc, dc, dc, 2dc by one on each side of the hdc, sc, ss, [sc, hdc].  To put it in the words of the pattern writer ...

... Repeat four more times... Repeat five more times ...

ETA:  I know this has been driving you crazy!  It's been driving me crazy, too.  I hate when counts don't come out right, especially when it's someone else's project.

Here's round 4. I will count the stitches across the top when I get back to where the project (what's left of it) is. 

Round 4: Ch3, dc in same st as joining, **1dc in each of the next 2 sts. 2 dc in next st**. Repeat from ** to *** around to the last 2 sts. 1 dc in each of the last 2 sts. Join with sl st in top of beginning ch3 - (48sts)

So I counted the stitches around the top of round 4. It's 48. Round 3 is 36 sts. Round 2 is 24 sts.

GS! I had the whole hat done yesterday with the green "mask part" and everything. I even have the eyes and nose all crocheted and ready to attach, but I just knew it wasn't right from round 5 to the end. Plus it was supposed to measure 20" unstretched and it measured 26"! Big enough for me. And I just don't have a thing to wear it with myself. LOL!!! So I ripped it all the way back to round 3 and have also been ripping and redoing, even back from the original magic circle through round 5 many, many times and finally decided it's just not going to work.

I sure am getting in lots of practice on my stitches, though. :)

I'm going to check to see if any updates are available. I just bought it a couple of weeks ago so I would have thought it would be up to date then. I have crocheted before, made several fairly complicated patterns (like a suit of armor for my granddaughter and the "fox scarf" for my daughter) but this little 3 year old boy really likes the Super Why character and I wanted to do it for him. He's had a really, really rough year and he deserves some smiles at Christmas. If I can't get it done by then his birthday is in March, but might be getting too warm to wear it by then. HA!

I didn't see any updates with the pattern I purchased. And I looked everywhere to see how to contact the author. Guess they probably don't want the authors contacted. I can see where that would be hard to keep up with.  :)

GS, you're right!  I somehow counted 18 increases, instead of 15. 

• Ch 3, dc in same stitch (1 count and 1 increase)
  • dc, dc, dc, 2dc - 6 times (4 x 6 = 24 count and 6 increases)
  • hdc, sc, ss, [sc, hdc] (4 count and 1 increase)
  • dc, dc, dc, 2dc - 7 times (4 x 7 = 28 count and 7 increases)
  • dc, dc, dc (3 count and no increases)

At the end of round 4, before you start round 5, count the tops of the stitches + the top of the chain 3.  That count should be 60.

Round 5 will be going into 60 stitches and will be making 15 increases.  At the end of round 5, count the tops of the stitches + the top of the chain 3.  That count should be 75.

Also, I see that there is a pattern update available.  So, the initial pattern did have problems.  Make sure you're following the updates.

I bought it on Craftsy. It's a child's "Super Why" hat pattern. The only one I could find anywhere so I think would be easy to find. I've pretty much decided I'm not going to get it made in time for Christmas since I've ripped it out at least five or six times now. Thanks for the help. If it's buggy that would actually make me feel much better about my not being able to figure it out. Lol.

Here's the link to it

https://www.craftsy.com/crocheting/patterns/super-why-wyatt-hat-/220167

I agree with 'spelling it out', which I didn't do (shame on me); trying to figure out what was meant by the marked part using 'pattern grammar' was a mistake.

Redrosesdz...I may need more coffee today and am missing something but -- I agree with the 18 increases, but I'm not coming up with the same end stitch count for round 5 you are, in fact I came up with using 60 from the prior row (if you assume the questionable 5 stitches marked with the arrow is 1 stitches each of the next 3, and the last 2 stitches into 1 stitch) to create 75 stitches at the end of round 5.

Comparing your numbers and mine 

• Ch 3, dc in same stitch (1) I count 2 sts created using 1 st, because ch3 normally counts as a stitch & normally you skip the first st
  • dc, dc, dc, 2dc - 6 times (4 x 6 = 24) I count 3dc + 2dc = 5 dc, times 6=30 stitches created using 24
  • hdc, sc, ss, [sc, hdc] (4) I count 5 sts created using 4 sts
  • dc, dc, dc, 2dc - 7 times (4 x 7 = 28) I count 3dc + 2dc = 5 dc, times 7=35 stitches created using 28
  • dc, dc, dc (3) yep

2 + 30 + 5 + 35 + 3 = 75 stitches created in round 5, using 60 stitches from round 4.

Sorry OP but I think your pattern may be buggy.  Could you tell us the name & author of the pattern, and source (if a book or magazine)?  I assume it's a purchased one, there may be comments on Ravelry about errors found by others who attempted it. 

I think I understand what you are saying. Now if I can just figure out why I keep running into the end of the previous round when I still have one whole set repeat and the three last stitches left to do. I may be stuck in round 5 throughout eternity. LOL!

Let me start by defining the traditional way of counting stitches for crochet...

When counting stitches, you count how many stitches you are inserting your hook into + how many stitches you are skipping.  The count is actually the number of stitches in the previous row/round.  You count all increases (multiple stitches in the same stitch) as 1. 

So, the ch3, dc in the same stitch, the 2dc in the same stitch and the sc, hdc in the same stitch are all increases.  They count as 1 when you're counting that round.  That is why dc, dc, dc, 2dc counts as 4 stitches and hdc, sc, ss, [sc, hdc] counts as 4 stitches. 

Round 4 should have a count of 48.  It should have 12 increases. 

Round 5 should have a count of 60.  It has 18 increases. 

Round 6 should have a count of 78.  It should have 24 increases.

(Since I only know round 5's count, I assumed the other counts.  Adding 6 increases for a round that is the height of a dc is standard.  It makes it flat.)

One thing you can do is double count.  Before each round, count the number of > that you have, including the top of the turning chain (ch3). And then count as you're making the stitches.  So, before round 5 begins, you should have 59 > and the top of a ch3.

I hope this helps!  Let me know if it clears things up or makes it more confusing.

Well, I finished all 12 rounds, but ripped it all back down to round 2 last night because it ended up way larger than it was supposed to be. I am back to round 5 again and have done that round 3 times now and still can't get it to end without spilling over. I did it with all those stitches in the middle in their own stitch, and again with them all in the same stitch, but when I proceed with all the repeats after that, there's way too many stitches to get it to match up with round 4.

The round just above it all ended with 48 sts and that came out right. The idea about counting as you go is brilliant, but I have a question about that. In those two rows above that contain a DC, I would have read it as 5 x 6 and 5 x 7 because doesn't the DC count as 2 sts? At the end when I go back around to count to see if I have the right number, I count each one of those dc's as a st. Should I not do that?

When I'm confused, I like to spell it out.  I counted 60 stitches.  I'm going to spell it out and then put the stitch count in ()...

• Ch 3, dc in same stitch (1)
  • dc, dc, dc, 2dc - 6 times (4 x 6 = 24)
  • hdc, sc, ss, [sc, hdc] (4)
  • dc, dc, dc, 2dc - 7 times (4 x 7 = 28)
  • dc, dc, dc (3)

1 + 24 + 4 + 28 + 3 = 60

GS is right.  The designer should have used asterisks for repeated sections.

ETA: You'll be turning 60 stitches into 78 stitches for the next round.  There are 18 increases.

You're welcome, but it's concerning that you have stitches left over; round 5 shouldn't spill over itself.  

My interpretation may be in error then (sorry!), because if you did what I suggested, you'd be using 4 stitches (but creating 5) in the marked sentence's instruction; if you put all into 1 stitch, you'd be using 1 stitch (and creating 5), which uses 3 fewer stitches than 4, so you  wouldn't be spilling over by 3.  

It looks like the designer is using brackets where she should be using asterisks.

Thank you, Granny Square. Thst was my impression as well, but when I ran into the end of the previous round before those six repeats were finished, I started second guessing the pattern. And then it goes on to DC into 3 more stitches beyond that! LOL! This round is supposed to be an "increase" round so maybe that's why the overlapping onto the previous round??

Thanks again. You have helped me in the past with projects and I appreciate it so much!!!!

Because the pattern writer was precise earlier, my take on this is that the part in the brackets [1 sc, 1 hdc] goes into 1 stitch, but each of stitches (in the same sentence) before the brackets each go into their own stitch.  In the prior sentence, when 2 dc went into 1 stitch, she didn't need brackets because it was the same type of stitch into 1; normally brackets are used when there is a combination of different stitches that go into 1 stitch.

Here's a site that explains brackets and such (scroll down a little past half way)

http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/tip_crochet.html

Archived