Chevron

Shoinsy

Question

I just started a chevron afghan and am having issues with the down side of the zigzag. To begin after the initial row, the pattern calls for 12 double stitches, three connected double stitches, then 12 more. When I follow the next step (double stitch in one loop) it is supposed to create the "up arrow" for the chevron pattern. However, it is not as defined and sharp as the previous arrow setting the stitches to move upward. I've watched a few videos on YouTube and keep getting the same result.

I apologize for any misuse of terminology. I'm new to crochet. Any help would be wonderful!

6 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!

Chevron afghans are fun to make.  It takes a few rows before you actually see the rippling.  The most important thing for a chevron pattern is counting.  It is critical.  I always think of a chevron as up hill, peak, down hill, valley.  The hills both get the same count.  The peak is an increase (3 stitches in the middle of the previous peak to turn 1 stitch into 3.)  The valley is a decrease (3 stitches together to make 1 stitch.)

Your pattern is...

Up HIll: 12 dc (double crochet)

Peak: 3 dc in the middle of the previous peak

Down Hill: 12 dc

Valley: 3dctog (3 double crochet together)

I think you're having trouble understanding the 3dctog. Here it is spelled out ...

YO (yarn over) and insert your hook in the first stitch.  YO and draw through a loop.  YO and pull through 2 loops.  (This is the start of a dc stitch.  Don't do the last step.)  2 loops left on your hook.

YO and insert your hook in the next stitch.  YO and draw through a loop.  YO and pull through 2 loops.  3 loops left on your hook.

YO and insert your hook in the next stitch.  YO and draw through a loop.  YO and pull through 2 loops.  4 loops left on your hook.

YO and pull through all 4 loops on your hook.

Some patterns do a variation of this ...

YO (yarn over) and insert your hook in the first stitch.  YO and draw through a loop.  YO and pull through 2 loops.  (This is the start of a dc stitch.  Don't do the last step.)  2 loops left on your hook.

Skip next stitch.

YO and insert your hook in the next stitch.  YO and draw through a loop.  YO and pull through 2 loops.  3 loops left on your hook.

YO and pull through all 3 loops on your hook.

I hope this helps!  If not, please post a link to the pattern or book so that we can help more precisely.

Welcome to the 'ville, and to crochet!

Good advice from Redrosesdz, and I'll underscore  the fact that the ripple doesn't look like much for the first couple of rows.  Your observation is an interesting one I hadn't considered before...If you think about the mechanics, an decrease of a spread of 3 stitches into 1 stitch does come to a sharp(er) point than the original 3 stitches, while increasing 1 stitch into 3 spreads out what was 1 stitch and is less 'pointy'.  You're not doing it wrong, but I'll think you'll find that after doing a few inches of the ripple pattern it evens out visually, with the surrounding stitches pulling the pattern into shape.

Archived