Numbers wont work

Miggity

Question

Let me start by saying I am very new to crochet. I've got the basics and I watch a lot of videos for help. I guess my biggest question is why despite my best efforts somehow I always end up off a stitch somehow. I'm working on a parka that i have gotten my chain down and my first row back of SC then I'm DC on the way back with spaces along the way. The first few times i started that row over because my midpoint wasn't lining up like it should. I started it again today and everything was finally making sense and lining up like it should. I was on top of the world until i hit the end of the row and did my final DC but there is this SC staring me in the face saying "You got off one somewhere!!" I've stared at my row and I am not seeing anywhere I made an error. I so don't want to pull that row out AGAIN but I know that adding and extra DC to finish this row off is only gonna make the pattern continue to be off. My guess is that I am just not as wise as I fell yet and that this all get easier as you do it over and over. I was just so excited that it was finally working and then WOMP. If anyone has any newbie tips other than "pay closer attention" lol I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks from a frustrated newbie!

4 answers to this question

welcome to the ville!   :hook

Telling yousrelf to pay closer attention is not bad advice :-)  but it is kind of vague.  there are specific things you can do though.

First, pick a good reliable pattern that does not have errors in it.  if the numbers in the pattern are wrong, you have a problem even before you start.  So tell us the name and location of the pattern so we can look at it.  

Second, count everything.  your initial chain has to have enough chains to support the first row.  One trick to be sure you have enough chains is to intentionally make MORE chains than you need, work the first row, then when finished unravel the extra chains.  On the first row, count the stitches at least once to be sure you have the right number.  Put a locking stitch marker or a bobby pin in the first and last stitch of the row so they are easy to find.

that brings us to #3---put markers in everywhere that the pattern states or any stitch you need to find again.  even on the initial chain, it helps to place markers to aid in keeping the count accurate.  for example put a marker in every 10th chain, then count again to be sure you have it correct.

if you do all this at the beginning, it will really help as you work through the pattern.  

Got the pattern here http://thecrochetcrowd.com/crochet-cool-poncho-tutorial/. I went back and carefully counted my initial chain and my first sc row back and both are correct so my error must be in my last dc row. I've pulled the row out enough times that it is going back together more quickly through repetition. I'll just pull it back out and try again. Practice makes perfect! Thank you for your reply with all your tips. I'll have to look into those markers you talked about.

cute poncho!  i like the granny type ponchos that are popular this year.

linking the written pattern page for reference http://www.yarnspirations.com/patterns/cool-poncho.html

one thought, if you are making it by watching the video it could help to get the written pattern also just to be able to quickly check the numbers.  

for markers, bobby pins i think work pretty well.  some people use paperclips or safety pins but those tend to get tangled in my experience.  you can also tie in yarn scraps.  the locking markers that i find to be perfect are made by clover and you can get them at Joanns http://www.joann.com/clover-locking-stitch-marker/5335096.html

Funny how fashions come and go, I made a couple of similar granny ponchos 10+ years ago for me and for Christmas gifts; back then they were called 'Martha Stewart coming home ponchos'.*  

http://www.easyfreepatterns.com/martha-stewart-poncho-knit-patterns.html

Great advice above.  I cringe a little when I see people using a video to make a whole project; I'm more old school and prefer either a written pattern or a stitch diagram. I think short, to-the-point videos are GREAT for learning a complex stitch pattern or technique that I'm not familiar with, but I can't imagine using a video for a whole project.  I mark where I am on a paper pattern; if I leave it for a few days, I think it would be a pain to stop, start, rewind a video over and over.  That's just me, though.

One thing that helps me sanity-check a stitch count, or clarify a complex part of an instruction, is to sketch it out.  There are 'regulation' crochet diagram symbols you can use if you want, and are good to learn--or you can sketch them in a way that makes sense to you--like vertical lines for the DC, dots for the chains for example.  For this pattern, after the first couple of rows of 'granny shells' (3 dc, ch-2), the rest follow the same concept so you wouldn't have to sketch much past that--it keeps growing at the middle point.

For your specific issue, being 1 stitch off on your second set-up row:  I would personally (1) go back and count all your stitches and chain skips in the second row, and see if you didn't make 2 DCs instead of 3 somewhere, or skipped the wrong number of chains, and rip back and fix that spot. (2) If you can't find an error, with the specific problem of having 1 extra base SC left over and not wanting to 'throw off' the rest of the pattern, you can 'fudge and fix' by taking out the last DC you made, and make a decrease - DC 2 together.  It will use up all the stitches below, but leave the right number for the row above.

* I made the Lion Brand one; actually, I think it might be easier than yours if you omit the edging, the LB one doesn't have seams, and is sort of a 2-pointed granny square--it's worked in the round.  You can just keep going to make it longer, or stop at fewer rows, and you don't have to make 2 pieces and seam.

Archived