newbie in need of help

mac

Question

I am a newbie to crochet (teaching myself off the internet) & I have bought my first book of patterns to try out. As I have only followed along to videos online, I have yet to learn how to actually read a pattern. Can someone please help me with the confusing part at the end of the instructions?

I am attempting to make a Memory Lane afghan

To start I was instructed to chain 246 

Row 1: Hdc in 3rd chain from hook (2 skipped chs count as an hdc) and in next 3 chs; * (ch 1, sk next ch, dc in next ch) 3 times; (ch 1, sk next ch, trc in next ch) 3 times; (ch 1, sk next ch, dc in next ch) 3 times; ch 1, sk next ch,hdc in next 5 chs; rep from * 9 times more: eleven 5-hdc groups; ch 3 (counts as first dc on following rows), turn.

I understand the abbreviations - hdc, ch, sk, dc, trc, rep - and I think I understand the () - do stitches in brackets 3 times before proceeding on to next.  What is confusing is the rep from * 9 times more: eleven 5-hdc groups - I don't have enough chains to repeat the 3 patterns 9 more times, does each pattern count as 1 or 3 (meaning do I make 9 more of each or just 3 more of each) & does eleven 5-hdc mean I should have that many total (from start to finish) at the end or am I to make that many hdc at the end (again.not enough chains to make that many)?

I'm sorry this is so long, but hopefully someone can help me make sense out of it. Thank you in advance!

11 answers to this question

Please say where the pattern is as the numbers don't add up for me either.  You are to do what is in the brackets 3 times each then ch 1, sk next ch, hdc in next 5chs, then repeat that 9 times. The 5hdc groups are the ones where you do 5 hdc in a row.

Cant be sure but would like to know where the pattern is.

If I did it right I now think they do add up.

edited for change.

I just did this 'on paper' and come up with requiring a chain of 246.

Here is how I came up with the chain number.  The numbers above the stitches are the chain numbers; I grouped the instructions by steps. Please double check me, I'm fairly sure this is correct but another set of eyes couldn't hurt.  The first 4 HDC plus the turning chain is the first group of 5 HDC; the first pass of the next rows of the instruction after the * is the first set of 5 HDC; then 9 more repeats is 11 5-HDC groups.

post-13625-0-69156200-1476551723_thumb.jpg

I agreeI and I like your explanation better.   I came up with 6 chs to start then the next sequence would use 24 that times 10 {the number of times it's done makes 240 + the 6 =246   I tried to write it out before but had trouble and had to go out and Granny Square is great.

I just did this 'on paper' and come up with requiring a chain of 246.

Here is how I came up with the chain number.  The numbers above the stitches are the chain numbers; I grouped the instructions by steps. Please double check me, I'm fairly sure this is correct but another set of eyes couldn't hurt.  The first 4 HDC plus the turning chain is the first group of 5 HDC; the first pass of the next rows of the instruction after the * is the first set of 5 HDC; then 9 more repeats is 11 5-HDC groups.

This helps a bit more but I am still a little confused. Your 2nd line (st 7-12) you have ch,dc,ch,dc,ch,dc but the instructions say ch1, sk next ch, dc in next ch - doesn't that mean the sts would be ch,sk,dc,ch.sk,dc,ch,sk,dc? Sk means skip correct? This is how I read it & if so, my 246 chs aren't enough.....  :(

I got this pattern in a book called Afghans from the Heart (published 1993)

I just realized you said you were new to crochet; if you make a stitch, chain 1  and then skip the next stitch (or chain) from the row below, then make some other stitch into the next chain or stitch below...the chain you just made sort of rides in the air between the stitches before and after it.  So the chain + the skipped chain below it use up a chain.  

You can't chain into a chain; you could slip stitch into a chain, but technically not chain into it.  I hope that makes sense?

edit - Kind of like this;  T is DC, the - is the chain between 2 DCs; below them are "o" for the 3 chains below.  

T - T

o o o

Thanks Granny, this makes more sense! I was thinking I had to skip the 2nd chain & dc in the 3rd... so the ch1 is actually above the last hdc & the next ch beside the hdc will be a dc which will leave a "gap" between the hdc & dc which is the skipped stitch? So I don't actually skip any of the chs on the 246 starting ch. Does this make sense?

Yes you do skip chs in the base ch as you sk a ch after each ch 1.   You do a hdc in the third ch from the hook and a hdc in each of the next 3 chs,  then you do skip a ch then do a dc in the next ch, then ch 1 and skip a ch and do a dc in the next ch, ch 1 skip a ch then do a dc in the next ch, for the first set of () ch 1 sk 1ch trc in next ch, ch 1 sk 1 ch trc in next ch, ch 1 sk 1 ch trc in next ch, for second part in () ch 1 sk 1 ch dc in next ch, ch 1 sk 1 ch dc in next ch, ch 1sk 1 ch dc in next ch for third part in () then ch 1 sk 1 ch and hdc in next 5 chs.

Archived