Help!

Dmt

Question

Help! I'm making my first blanket using Bernat mixed yarn and a double crochet stitch. when I added the second ball of yarn I was told to trim it so it would join with the same color as I was ending, now I see the whole pattern looks completely different! The plum areas are much larger. Is there something I did wrong? I will attach a photo. Thanks for the help???? Dawn

9 answers to this question

Yes it is! You can see how the plum was more spread out in the beginning and once I added the new one it completely changed! Just wondering if there is any special way to join the yarn, maybe I did something wrong

it also looks like the shade of the brown or olive green changed a little.  with the plum, you have one or 2 area where there are 2 dc stacked on top of 2 dc so that chunk of 4 sts of the same color stands out.  the white is doing somewhat the same thing.  

it's really hard to know with multicolored yarn how the colors are going to work out.  this yarn has only a short section of each color so i don't think where you start makes a huge difference.  but sometimes an inch or 2 can change the repetition it falls into.  

where did you find the direction to trim the yarn to start with a certain color?  i wouldn't have thought that was a real concern with such a short color section.  

on ravelry you can see photos of people's projects with the yarn http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/bernat-blanket-ombres--multis/projects?view=cards&search=&crafts%5B%5D=crochet

you can see how the colors tend to "pool" into certain patterns.  

I've used that yarn in a different color. It doesn't matter what color is started on the new skein. What matters is that they are from the same dye lot. Also, if you start one skein from the center and another from the outside, they'll look different. They need to be started at the same end.

The good news is that unless the color is different, pooling of colors will not be noticeable when it's done. It will look like it was meant to be there.

I've had this happen, but not with your particular yarn. We assume all the color lengths are the same on all the skeins, but sometimes they aren't. Strange.

Thank you all, after talking to you I looked really good at the yarn and although it was the same dye lot the color lengths and color were slightly off! Well, at least it wasn't my mistake! Thanks for all the help

Archived