Help with adapting a pattern

LibraryMouse

Question

Hi,

I am making a blouse for myself, but I am a little crunched for time. 

The pattern stitch involves doing one row alternating double crochet and slip stitches, and then a row of all double crochet.

But because double crochet stitches are taller, it would be (several hours, I'm pretty slow) faster for me to do all double crochet. Can I do that without messing up things like armhole shaping, etc.?

Thanks!

6 answers to this question

Changing the row of alternating DC, SS stitches to all DC would have a big difference.  It would change the look of the pattern and the row sizing.  The purpose of doing the DC, SS row is to create a row of mini-baubles.  It's a much shorter row than the taller DC only rows. 

Try doing the DC, SS alternating.  I think after you do some, you'll find it's not much difference in speed than the just DC rows.  Even if it does take a bit longer to do, it's well worth doing it right.  You'll be more satisfied with the results.

I agree with Redrosesdz, it will completely change the look, will be a plainer and more open fabric.  Affecting the size sort of depends on the pattern--of course it will make a difference, but if it has a schematic, showing a sketch of the blouse, and the measurements of critical bits like armhole etc.,  you might be able to easily do some fiddling (add rows) to match the measurements.  Is it a raglan?--then nope, row height is super important, it's hard to work around.  

Is it a free pattern that you could link to?  Or if a paid pattern, what is the pattern name and source?  We might have different thoughts if we could see it.

Thanks for your responses. It's the Must-Have Blouse from 24 hour crochet patterns. The measurements are given in inches, not rows, so I don't see that being a problem. I'm pretty sure it will work, my question is just about making sure changing the stitch will not affect how the armhole shaping, etc. works out. 

Thanks!

Here is a ravelry link, so we can see what it looks like

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/must-have-blouse

I see you've also asked the same question in the design section, and also on Ravelry.

This is a simple looking top, the simplicity is a plus for adjusting.  As others & I have also said, as long as you hit the measurements that the pattern gives you, you should be OK.  

Another thought might be use plain DC for the sleeves, and for the body up to the armpits (still following dimensions), and to switch to the pattern stitch in the yoke area (armpits to neck); this would still save time and give some textural interest (and not an unheard of type of design feature).

With that original pic on ravelry, it's really hard to see the stitches.  The variegated yarn completely hides the texture of the top.  Click on the Projects tab.  There is an all pink top in the pattern.  See the striping in the pattern?  That is all due to the DC, SS rows.

Before changing to all DC rows, at least give the DC, SS a try.  If you don't like the look or doing it, then ripping it back 1 or 2 rows is no big deal.  If you don't at least try it, then you'll always wonder what you could have created.

Archived