Squares into circles

Cpurchase

Question

6 answers to this question

There are several good ways. I suggest you google "How to crochet squares into circles".  They give a LOT of information--much better than I can explain!

Maybe if I explain a bit better. I have a number of granny sqaures that I want to add an edge to so that it looks like a doily or better yet, a mandala. I can do circles into sqaures but for the life of me I can't figure this one out... The squares are either stashbuster projects or therapy and now I want to create something new. Any and all help and suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

This may take some fiddling/ripping to get it right, but just doing this in my head...this has you working a 'hill' on each side of the square independently, not continuing to work in the round.

Join yarn in a corner chain space.  

Chain 3, work across the granny pattern 'as usual', make a DC into the next corner space.  Turn.  This results in a shorter row with slanted edges.

From here it will probably require some trial and error if the squares are large.  If you repeat that row, you'll end up with a pyramid.  What you'll need to do is narrow each row MORE each row at some point.  Depending on the size of your square, it may only take a couple more rows.  Maybe the next row is a longer slanting chain & stitch on each side, and only 1 or 2 stitches in the first and last granny 'shell'.  Or, if the grannies aren't huge, just repeat the above rows a couple of times and it will be roundish... you might be able to round it off with a finishing border of grannies or something else all around.

I read your first post the same way that Avon Lady did at first, probably because I've seen a lot of 'circle to square' patterns.  The only rounding of of squares I could think of is a doily that adds a half circle to each side of a square, but that ends up sort of 4-leaf clover shaped, not round.

Archived