Help with toddler dress.

Kenyata Miller

Question

Hi everyone!

I have been crocheting for a few months now, and I working on a new project. I am making a dress and because I'm a gluten for punishment it's an intermediate pattern, and I seem to be stuck. I have finished the yoke and can't seem to figure out what to do with the first round. Here is the last row that I finished:

Row 8: (WS) turn, ch 2, hdc in first st, hdc in each of next 18 sts, ch 16, sk next 28 sts, hdc in next st (create armhole), hdc in each of next 37 sts, ch 16, sk next 28 sts, hdc in next st (create armhole), hdc in each of next 18 sts. (76 sts)

And here is where I am stuck:

Bodice

Note: working in rounds

Round 9: (RS) turn, ch 3, sk first st, (3 dc, ch 3, 1 dc) in next st, [sk next 2 sts, (3 dc, ch 3, 1 dc) in next st] 5 times, sk next st and ch 2, sl st to next ch, sc in each of next ch 11, sl st to next ch, sk next ch 2, [sk next 2 sc, (3 dc, ch 3, 1 dc) in next st] 12 times, sk next sc and ch 2, sl st to next ch, sc in each of next ch 11, sl st to next ch, sk next ch 2 and sc, [(3 dc, ch 3, 1 dc) in next st, sk next 2 sts] 5 times, (3 dc, ch 3, 1 dc) in next st, dc in last st, do not turn, sl st to beg ch 3 top. (24 (3 dc, ch 3, 1 dc))

What the heck am I suppose to do? I'm completely co fused about where the ch11 comes from, where the sc's come from, and I'm not even sure which way to start. Here is what my dress looks like thus far

post-77489-0-06680600-1469050661_thumb.jpg

11 answers to this question

welcome to the ville!  what is the name and location of the pattern?

on the previous row, when you  chained 16 and skipped 28 stitches, that created the armholes.  now you are working around part of the yoke and the 16 ch on each side, to create the bodice.  

so when you get to the part where you skip a stitch and 2 chains, then slip stitch into the next chain, that takes care of 3 of the 16 chains you made in row 8.  then you sc into 11 chains.  then slip atitch into a chain and skip 2, again that is 3.  so this part adds up to 17, rather than 16, so the math is a little off.  

The instruction is sc in each of next ch 11.  (part of the chain 18 you did earlier to form the underarm.)

Apparently the yoke was made in HDC, and now below the yoke for the dress part you are working in SC & DC..

Oops, Hi Magic, I'm back to typing slow again.

Thanks so much for getting back to me, the name of the pattern is mamas sweetheart, and can be found here http://www.crochetforyoublog.com/2015/08/mamas-sweetheart-toddler-dresstunic-crochet-for-you/

So starting again I chain 3 and then turn correct? I must be missing stitches somewhere because I have not been able to get back to where I started.

Hi Granny Square !   On the last row, it says chain 16, not 18, if i am looking at it right.  

But overall I doubt if 1 stitch either way will make a huge difference.  

Macgirl, is this the pattern you are using?  http://www.crochetforyoublog.com/2015/08/mamas-sweetheart-toddler-dresstunic-crochet-for-you/

here is that one on ravelry if you want to look at pattern comments and project notes  http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/mamas-sweetheart

if that is it, i would fudge a bit and just make sure you have 11 sc into the chain 16.  I think  in row 9 where it says to work inot an sc, but the previous row was all hdc, just think of sc as being a typo for st.   

this kind of round yoke construction with a lacy body/skirt is very common and there are tons of similar patterns, if you would like suggstions for other patterns that may have fewer errors.  

No, I don't think it's you.  at all!   it seems to me that often when people put patterns on blogs, nobody else has proofread it, much less tried to make the pattern.  so there can be odd wording, typos, and just plain mistakes.  

Most of the time, patterns on yarn company websites, or by established designers, or in books, are more likely to be error-free.  Not always of course, but the chances are good I think.  

Oops, yes chain 16...i transposed the 18 from the instruction right before the chain, sorry.  Also missed the mention of 'into the sc' in round 9...I'll blame the heat.

Also in re-reading round 9 and trying to count the stitches, I was having trouble adding up the stitches 'used' to the number you were supposed to end up with at the end of round 8.. 

I agree with Magiccrochetfan, although the Rav projects didn't report any problems, maybe of the 7 projects and only 2 finished, the 2 winged it and the other 5 gave up.  I think I'd look for a different pattern, and there are a bunch of baby/toddler dresses which start with a yoke like that.

Here's a search of dress + circular yoke, free and paid

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#pa=circular-yoke&craft=crochet&view=captioned_thumbs&sort=best&query=dress%20%2B%20

Oops, yes chain 16...i transposed the 18 from the instruction right before the chain, sorry.  Also missed the mention of 'into the sc' in round 9...I'll blame the heat.

Also in re-reading round 9 and trying to count the stitches, I can see why it's not adding up.  By a lot.  It's not very clearly written--example when it says "sk next sc and ch 2", does it mean to skip the next sc (or hdc) and make 2 chains, or skip 2 chains?  I was assuming skip, in which case row 9 is 'using up' a lot more stitches than the number of stitches you should have ended up with in row 9.

I agree with Magiccrochetfan, although the Rav projects didn't report any problems, maybe of the 7 projects and only 2 finished, the 2 winged it and the other 5 gave up.  I think I'd look for a different pattern, and there are a bunch of baby/toddler dresses which start with a yoke like that.

Here's a search of dress + circular yoke, free and paid

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#pa=circular-yoke&craft=crochet&view=captioned_thumbs&sort=best&query=dress%20%2B%20

I was literally about to ask if I should give up on This dress and find a different one, and you answered the question. Any tips on finding well written patterns?

I agree with Magiccrochetfan, there are some lovely patterns on blogs but there are awful ones too.  Patterns company websites are usually written in a more clear and consistent manner, and you can often find errata that fixes (hopefully most) errors...

I hope there are some in the link that will work for you.  You may have to further filter on the yarn weight you are using, I just realized I forgot to check that.

I was literally about to ask if I should give up on This dress and find a different one, and you answered the question. Any tips on finding well written patterns?

Usually if you look on the sites of yarn comapnies, the patterns are pretty well edited/proofread; many companies offer free patterns, like Red Heart, and the caron/Bernat etc ones on Yarnspirations.  

If you are able to purchase books, or have access to a public library, most books from established publishers are also well done and have few errors. 

Some professional designers offer free patterns, or you might choose to purchase patterns from these independent designers.

Kim Guzman is a designer and teacher who offers free patterns which are reliable http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#craft=crochet&designer=Kim%20Guzman&view=captioned_thumbs&sort=date

Some of her patterns also have been published in books that are still available to buy.  she has several baby patterns that are very cute as you can see.  

Archived