First Project- Please Help!

jsylla

Question

Hello! I have just started my first crochet project! I am so excited to be making a blanket for my niece who is due in November! I am making a single stitch chevron baby blanket, which is the same style my grandmother made for each of my sisters and I, but it is a surprise and my family doesn't know I have taught myself to crochet the same blankets she used to make for us. 

I do not have my grandmother's pattern so it has been a little bit of a process to figure out the pattern, size, etc. 

I have gotten about 28 rows in and realized that one end is "growing" which I know means I have been adding too many stitches onto the previous row. 

Now I THINK I know the answer, and it is one I do not want to hear (being new to this, these 28 rows have taken me a lot longer than a seasoned veteran!) Is there a way to fix this WITHOUT having to pull them all and restart?!?! Please help! When I first noticed it I told myself I would just keep going and it would be part of the uniqueness of the blanket, but it's REALLY bothering me and I wish I had Grandma here to offer advice!

Notice on the left that the chevron is too long!

post-78063-0-53447800-1469035832_thumb.jpg

6 answers to this question

Welcome to the ville!

Yes, the solution is to start over. I think you need to end the row with a decrease...it should mirror how you start the row. Are you using a published pattern? Or did you figure it out from an existing blanket?

What you have made looks cool, so think about using it as a wall decoration for the baby's room maybe. Or some other form of decoration like a mat or runner. If you do have to rip it out because you need the yarn, know that everybody has times they have to rip, it is not just you!

Your stitches look nice and even and the pattern seems to be lined up correctly, otherwise.

Thank you magiccrochetfan!

I was afraid I knew the answer. I am not looking forward to restarting, but I know I will be happier with the outcome!
I am following a published pattern in a sense! haha (probably not the smartest to slightly alter a pattern on my first project!) The pattern calls for 7 sc on one side of the chevron, three sc, then another 7 sc, but I counted 12 in the one from my grandmother. So that is the only change I made other than making it wider as well. 

Question - do both ends look like that, or just one?  Could you possibly be using the turning chain as a stitch?  For SC, the turning chain doesn't count or get used as a stitch--if you do, you'll add stitches.

I do like the color scheme :)   Think of it as a big practice swatch...

There is a way, provided you wouldn't mind a loop on one corner. Fold that overgrown chevron so the stripes line up and tack down the edge. Presto, a handy hanging loop.

Are you decreasing at that end? That can push the edge out, too. Usually a chevron either has two decreases or a double decrease at the bottom of a dip, but there's a single decrease on the ends.

Granny Square, it's just the one end! 

Becky Morgan, the hanging loop is a good idea! I will look at that as an option to see if I like it. I am decreasing by two loops at the dip, but not decreasing at the end of a row. 
Maybe I need to find a different pattern and start over?!

Archived