Pattern help :)

frodo60

Question

Hi all, i hope everyone is well :) 

i am in need of some advice for a pattern i am doing at the moment :), i got this cardigan pattern from yarnspirations and the piece of the pattern i am having troubles understanding is as follows:

" Continue even in pattern until work from marked row measures 12" (30.5cm) "

However.... as you can see in the photos my work is already longer than 12" from where the pattern last told me to place a marker, SO i am unsure if i have to place another marker and work another 12" or this is it? the sleeve seems to short to be finished yet so i am lost haha any advice is greatly appreciated  :ty  :manyheart  :)

post-78000-0-18633200-1468885166_thumb.jpg

post-78000-0-45178500-1468885177_thumb.jpg

7 answers to this question

what's the name of the patern?   

hopefully the pattern tells you what the stitch and row gauge should be.  is your row gauge pretty much correct?  

Hi Magiccrochetfan, 

this is the link to the pattern im using :) (im going with the blue writing size in the pattern)

http://www.yarnspirations.com/patterns/romantic-wrap.html

i think im doing everything correct BUT, this is my first try at a piece of clothing so i could be wrong haha :)

what kind of yarn are you using?   How does your row gauge compare to the pattern's stated gauge?   

i did a quick count of the pattern rows and i think there should be approx 41 rows at this point, not counting the ribbing.  at 20 rows to 4", it should be about 8" tall.  my count of the pattern rows may be wildly inaccurate though.  

What an awful cover-page pattern photo--but when you get to the last page where it's worn on a model, you can see it's a gorgeous cardigan.  What were they thinking??

Anyway...for the blue size, the marker was placed where the cuff meets the sleeve, and the point you reference is 12" beyond that...so, 12" plus cuff.

Cuff: gauge is 22 stitches =4", cuff is 30 stitches, so is about 5.5" (4 divided by 22 is the width of 1 stitch, times 30).  

Sleeve + cuff should be 17.5", which I agree seems short, but I think this pattern acts like a drop sleeve (like a T-shirt); drop sleeves are a couple of inches shorter than set-in.  Look at how far off the shoulder the sleeve seam of a T shirt is.

If it makes you feel better, after writing that I remembered a drop sleeve sweater I'd made years ago (with a seam, not made cuff to cuff like yours), and the sleeve was about 17.25", so it sounds about right.  

Hi Grannysquare, thanks so much for that haha, i had a look at the picture of the model also and noticed her sleeve seemed to be short aswell so im guessing its meant to be like that lol, im so grateful i found this site its been so helpful so far :) 

thanks so much guys for your advice  :ty  :manyheart

Your're welcome!

You can always add a couple of rows working even to make it longer.  My sweater's sleeves are plenty long (to the wrist), in fact I remember ripping them out and shortening them to that length after a couple of wearings because I was having to fold back the cuff.  Of course not everyone's arms are the same length, I'm 5'3" if height correlates to arm length.

Archived