Trouble reading pattern

ChristinaCrochet

Question

I am making a baby cardigan and am having trouble understanding the instructions in the pattern for the sleeves. Any help to explain would be much appreciated!

1st Row: 2ch, 1hd into each st to end, turn.
Working in hd (throughout) dec 1 st at each end of 2nd Row. 26 sts.
Work 12 rows inc 1 st at end of every foll 4th row. 32 sts.

The part in red is the bit I am confused by!

2 answers to this question

Welcome to the ville!

If you copied it exactly, it is more cnfusing than it needed to be in my opinion!

Often it helps to write out the confusing part in complete words. Dec is decrease. Foll is following. So first it is saying to decrease one stitch at each end of the row so you have 26 stitches. Then it says to work twelve rows and increase one st at end of the following fourth rows, so the fourth, eighth, and twelfth rows get increases...then you will have thirty two sts.

For the numbers to work, you will need to inc at both ends of those rows.

Hope that helps!

Welcome to the 'ville!

Whenever I see 'do something every x row, repeat y times (or over y rows)', I put a stitch marker (bobby pin, safety pin) at the end of the 'do something' row.  It helps me keep track of where I am.

The pattern should have a section where it explains abbreviations, like inc or dec.  If it doesn't, just to cover the terms used here, (and in case you are a beginner) increase usually means 2 stitches into 1 stitch; decrease means to combine 2 stitches into 1 (make all but the last "pull thru 2 loops" of the first stitch, then do the same in the next stitch made into the following stitch (there should be 3 loops, 1 for each stitch and 1 for the loop that's always on the hook), then pull thru all 3 of the loops on the hook to finish)

Archived